This question clearly shows that I haven't fully grasped the specific subject yet...
When I want to open an existing project from its xlf file, is CTE supposed to set the correct language pair automatically too in addition to the project resources? Or, should I set the language pair manually first?
> is CTE supposed to set the correct language pair automatically
For projects created in CafeTran, the language pair is already set in project's .xlf file and CafeTran just opens it with these languages. For non-native projects, the language pair may not be set. Then, you need to choose the languages in the Dashboard.
Thank you, but it seems is not happening here. This is what I just did:
1) Opened CTE (the Dashboard showed the last CTE native project with the JP-IT language pair set. It's a Word project.
2) Changed the source language to EN.
3) Closed CTE.
4) Launched the same project by clicking on its xlf file.
5) CTE opened and set EN as source language, not JP as defined in the project. (When opening the xlf file with Notepad the JP-IT language pair was clearly set.)
Would you like to see the xlf file?
I don't quite understand the whole procedure above - how you changed the source language (in the opened project?) and why you had to choose the .xlf file instead of just selecting the given project in the Dashboard?
In my tests, CafeTran sets the .xlf files language pairs. Just try again, switching between projects with different language pairs and see the language pair set in the status bar at the bottom of the interface.
...why you had to choose the .xlf file instead of just selecting the given project in the Dashboard?
How can I open a project that is not listed in the Dashboard list, maybe because it's old? By selecting "Open project..." and then the project xlf file, right?
Just try again, switching between projects with different language pairs and see the language pair set in the status bar at the bottom of the interface.
I did try again (by clicking the xlf
file in project folders): projects seem to get opened indeed with the right language combination (this didn't happen earlier this afternoon, though), but
when I switched from an EN-IT project to a JP-IT project, CTE failed to
open the JP-IT memory I had used with that very project, and instead it popped up a TM window with the EN-IT language pair for my confirmation, while in the Dashboard that very EN-IT TM was set.
When other resources are involved, it is recommended to make sure the language pair is correct in the Dashboard. Even if you forget it, the TM triggers the TM options pop-up window you mentioned to select the language pair there as well.
When other resources are involved
TMs are a primary resource, and language combinations are a primary setting too. I still can't understand why projects can't open automatically using all the settings stored in the xlf file.
OK then, at least I know now.
In CafeTran, settings can be shared between various projects via Project Templates. If you use the same project template for various projects with different language pairs, the Dashboard is a place to make the quick adjustment for the correct language pair. Perhaps such projects with different project templates (not the same) might switch the languages automatically for you.
Well, I stopped using project templates. Perhaps I haven't fully grasped how they work in CTE and how to use them to get a real advantage. I may decide to try them again in future, though.
They work as advertised.