Start a new topic

I returned to 10.9

For the first time in many years, I returned to a previous version of CafeTran Espresso.

I'm often suffering of slow response while typing, looks almost like freezing, have to kill CafeTran Espresso, since quitting isn't possible.

Let's look via 10.9 if this is because of my configuration or because of the .1 version.

macOS 10.15.7

The About panel shows if CafeTran is reading those Java memory values from the bash script indeed. I have Linux Ubuntu under Gnome desktop here for CTE development and testing on Linux - no unusual setup. However, Linux users have reported it working on various Linux distros. Currently, CTE runs on embedded Java 17. It this is not the Java memory issue, I suspect some missing libraries to run a Java/JavaFX application in this case.

Well, that is a funny thing. CTE just threw me a:

Exception in thread "TimerQueue" Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

However, "About" tells me "Used 117 out of 8200 MB"

Maybe you have another instance of Java running? The System monitor on Linux can show running instances of Java apps and the resource they take.

Also, make sure that CTE is using the embedded Java runtime (not the system Java). See JAVA_HOME variable in the launching script.

I'll be working on a largish 20K translation for a new client the next couple of days, so let's see how it goes.

No news is good news.

Al quiet on the Western front, let's hope.

BTW: I'm planning to upgrade the iMac from Catalina to Big Sur, being the last supported version of macOS. (Apple won't support Montery on my iMac from late 2014 :( )

If I do upgrade, I plan to install a fresh CafeTran Espresso ... since I suspect that my problems could be related to, what's the word, 'rights' I guess. Hmm, perhaps the word is 'permissions'. Anyways, those things.

Login to post a comment