Start a new topic

Double entries in glossaries

Is it not really possible to look into this matter?

Almost whenever I enter a term in a glossary, upon opening it I find that that entry appears twice.

Finding this behavior pattern is very difficult, and having to check all the times and delete the entries in excess is a nuisance.

Thanks  

Do you enter terms via the dialogue box? Do you have a selection active when you close the dialogue box? If so, an additional term pair will be added.

Can this be the cause?

I enter the terms in the windows that appears after pressing Alt+G. Is this what you meant by "dialogue box"?

And, what do you mean exactly by "having a selection active when you close the dialogue box"? A selection in the dialogue box itself, perhaps? If you meant this, I'll do some testing.

But, in any case I don't understand why double entries should occur when a selection is "active" in that dialogue box.

Thanks

It’s a neat way for quickly entering related terms

You might have the same glossary referenced twice in your project or two glossaries pointing to the same glossary file. In the "New term" panel, try adding new entries, clicking the numbered button next to your glossary name instead of the OK button.

Igor: You might have the same glossary referenced twice in your project or two glossaries pointing to the same glossary file.

Me: Non of the above, at least as far as I can see. I'll try your suggestion about the numbered button, though.

Mario, did you check whether there are selections active?

These selections will add two entries:

Indeed, it seems that having an active selection in one of the New Term fields produces the double entry.

Igor, would you please try this on your side too?

Thanks!

Mario, this is by design. It's a great feature, saving a lot of clicks and typing. Just make sure that no selection exists.

Perhaps Igor wants to add a switch?

Or you can use AutoHotkey to create a macro that removes all selections when the dialogue box is closed.

That's interesting. But how can one make selections in the New Term window, in both the source and target field? Whenever I select a term in my source and target text and then press alt + g, the terms appear in the respective fields in the New Term window, but none of them is selected. And if I select such a term in the source field of the New Term window, and then select a term in the target field, the selection of the source term disppears. For me it's impossible to select stuff in both the source and target fields.

It just looks like the double selection isn't possible. In fact, it is.

At least on macOS.

alwayslockyourbike: this is by design. It's a great feature, saving a lot of clicks and typing. Just make sure that no selection exists.

Maybe this feature could be useful at times, but how many times during a project? Also, consider the clicks and the typing you need to do to open the active glossaries to remove the double entries.

One day I'll try AutoHotKey, but for the moment I'll try to remember to remove all selections.

But, Igor, could an alternative solution be implemented to cater for both needs?

Thanks

alwayslockyourbike: this is by design. It's a great feature.

Neither in Windows making two selections in the New Term fields is possible.

By the way, in what situations do you find this feature particularly useful? By pressing the left-most "New Term" button after selecting the desired words in the source and target fields?

That depends on the size of the project and the fact whether it is a new client. I’d say, 100 or 200 times a day. Same goes for entering several parallel term pairs in one go (multiple lines). Tell me, why would you leave any selection? It is an extra effort to make one, isn’t it?

I still fail to recognize the usefulness of this "feature". In order to avoid duplicate entries, after entering a new term I need to click again once in an empty space of source and target fields to clear any possible selection, even if such selections are not visible (I may have selected the source term in order to look it up in another dictionary before deciding what to actually enter in the target field/s, for example).

I've just spent one hour to do several tests and I've arrived at the conclusion that the benefit of the feature as you describe makes the whole process of entering a new term more time consuming and with too many additional clicks, including opening every time the glossary and deleting the entry in excess.

This is at least my opinion, and hopefully other CTE users will chime in theirs.

Login to post a comment