Start a new topic

Consistently wrong boundary tag order

For the sdlxliff file I'm translating I set CTE to show boundary tags. The problem is, CTE places them always in the wrong order in the target editor, like this:

1xxxxxxx1

xxxxxxx1

Is there a way to avoid this? When translating files with thousands of segments, having to delete and retype codes for all of them is quite an effort.

Thanks for any suggestion.

To do all my jobs I keep the source file displayed on a secondary desktop (switching back and forth is very easy, like virtual spaces in Linux), but the problem is that I cannot check in the CTE grid whether formatting has been applied correctly to target segments. In theory, if formatting appears correctly in the grid it should appear correctly in the exported file too, or no?

Regarding SDL Studio, I still have version 2009, which I use mainly to convert TMs. Sometimes I even forget that I have it, but thank you for the indirect reminder. Still, it would be nice if everything regarding formatting could be done within CTE itself. You know, I have a strong antipathy for everything SDL.    

As I said, this is only based on my experience. I now systematically toggle that setting for external projects…

Based on what you say, may I suggest you save the PowerPoint file as HTML and open it in a CafeTran tab as an HTML Source Preview (Resources menu)? It might help when you are not sure about the formatting.

If you have the possibility to download the 30-day trial version of SDL Trados, this could also help you check this out for yourself on one or two projects, to check the project for tag issues and export it to confirm that everything looks as expected?

Thanks for the suggestions, Jean. The job I'm doing now is a huge PowerPoint (sdlxliff) presentation full of italics, bold and colored fragments. If I could see clearly the resulting text decoration in the grid I would worry less, but I've yet to find a font that can display bold with sdlxliff files (I'm working with Windows now). This is why I had disabled the "Hide boundary tags" options at first.

As a precaution, I will keep it disabled again if it helps better controlling the text output. Unfortunately, this job's client can become very nervous when aesthetical issues occur between source and target. He even recommended me to buy the same CAT tool that he uses (SDL Studio) to avoid this type of issue...    

I am really not sure how final the above answer is. Case in point, I have encountered tag issues when working with Trados files in the past (although I did not open a ticket) when working with "Hide boundary tags" enabled. I now systematically disable this setting in all external projects. I even wanted to add this as a tip to the reference documents…

Mario, since the developer recommends that, just disable them, but if possible double-check for tag issues in SDL Trados prior to delivery. 

And consider opening a ticket for that with fresh examples if any issue occurs or is reported by the client.

Maybe you can have them shown after the first pass (where they can be a nuisance for auto-assembling and TM matching).

OK, thanks! This is the final answer I was looking for. Actually, since yesterday I've been working without these tags displayed, and things are speedier since I don't have to correct them.one by one.

> ...explaining pros and cons of having these tags shown

For the external projects such as sdlxliff, I can hardly see any need for the display of boundary tags. They are always added to the target segments automatically if hidden. Their display might be useful possibly when checking some tags inconsistency errors if they are reported by the QA tags check. Hiding them also eliminates their interference during auto-assembling.

Oh, by the way, I don't regard the "empty cells in Excel files" fix as a personal wish. Can't we just call it as it is, that is a bug? And bugs should be fixed as soon as possible, right.

I don't think Igor will be angry at this statement, but I'm thanking him for fixing the issue.

1 person likes this

>Other changes ... won't get changed

Other changes ... won't get SAVED

Some of them are set by changing them in the Preferences and these changes will be saved in the PT. Other changes via the Prefs you will have to save manually 'into' a PT, via the DB. Other changes ... won't get changed. Here you could ring the ding dong bell and hope for fulfilment.

Alas, it's not clear which changes do get saved, but I know for sure that some of the AA settings are being saved in the PT :).

I hope that you don't mind my abbrev.

you did see that your other wish, regarding empty cells in Excel files, got fulfilled?

Congratulations, you've got an excellent memory.

However, I was not implying/lamenting that Igor will never accept my idea about separate preferences. Since there is an "awful lot of wishes on Igor’s plate" already (and new ones are adding up every day)—and he is only one—I was just wondering if I should try to reincarnate as a translator (again!? no please!) in a next life to see my wish satisfied. But I'm not holding my breath, because there are other new features that I'll like to see materialized before that.

Coming to the template thing, as fare as I've understood so far there is now way to set auto-assembly preferences in a template, right?

> I wonder how many chances I have to see this wish fulfilled... / you did see that your other wish, regarding empty cells in Excel files, got fulfilled? Igor is definitely still listening and fulfilling wishes.... I got two suggestions fulfilled in the last update. One of them for my use, the other one for the community. I find that very generous of Igor. I don’t expect that all my wishes come true. If I did, I would use an open source tool and pay a developer. I still think that if you demonstrate the necessity of a change and keep reminding and have patience, in the end your wish gets fulfilled. I guess that there’s an awful lot of wishes on Igor’s plate. Don’t forget that the pandemic deal at Proz probably brought a lot of new users that probably hope for support and fulfillment of there wishes. There are only 24 hours in a day and there’s only one developer.
Isn’t this possible via Project Templates?

So, I'll take this opportunity to propose the idea of making specific settings for specific language pairs, for instance enabling auto-assembly only for English to Italian projects in my case. I wonder how many chances I have to see this wish fulfilled...

I hoped Igor shed more light on the real necessity of seeing the boundary tags in the editor area. I'm just starting a new SDL Studio job and will keep these tags hidden just to see how it goes.

In any case, no auto-assembly for me: working with Japanese as a source it's more a curse than a blessing.

So, Mario, how did you proceed here? I hope that you have hidden boundary tags and reactivated auto-assembling and that everything is fine again?
Login to post a comment