Start a new topic

improvement to automatic selection of whole words

Hi, I thought it would be useful if it was possible, with the "automatic selection of whole words" feature enabled, to be able to select only a part of a longer term by pressing and holding the ctrl key while making the selection.

This would be convenient when selecting parts of longer compound terms, hyphenated terms etc., for example to add them to a glossary.

Right now, when I want to select only a part of a term, I have to place the cursor before a term, then use shift + arrow keys to select the part I want.

Optionally, it could be useful if it was also possible, with the "automatic selection of whole words" feature DISabled, to be able to select whole words with the above method.

Would it be possible to implement this?

It's already been implemented with the ALT key.

Great, thanks! :D

I'd like to add that it would be very useful if each part of a hyphenated word were treated like a separate word. There are way more such words in Ukrainian and Russian than in English, and they are basically two different notions connected by a dash. Sometimes, I need to replace only the second (or the first) part.

I have automatic selection disabled, but I cannot select a part of such a word with a shortcut like Alt (Ctrl)+Shift+Arrow, as both parts are selected at once. So indeed, the only way is to press Shift and select one character at a time.

So my question is: Could dash be treated like a word divider?

Login to post a comment