Start a new topic

Request: import option for XLSX: whole cells

Following this thread: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000062075/page/last#reply-to-post I'd like to request an import option for whole cells 

2 people like this idea

The best thing in handling Excel would be to copy the functionality of multilingual delimited text filter from memoQ. It's really powerful.

1 person likes this

Let me give you some (unsolicited) advice:

• Don't mention other CAT tools, this will decrease the likelihood that your request is honoured.
  • Specify the features that you need as exact as possible.

:-)

1 person likes this

Ha-ha! Thanks :)

alwayslockyourbikeDon't mention other CAT tools, this will decrease the likelihood that your request is honoured.

Sorry, but frankly I don't understand this. Up to a point, I can understand a developer's feeling when users suggest features found in competitive software, and I would probably feel the same. But, again, up to a point only.

Why would asking to emulate competitor features be so bad if such features are considered useful and users ask for them? After all, isn't this what more popular CAT software companies do all the time, apparently with success? 

>Why would asking to emulate competitor features be so bad if such features are considered useful and users ask for them? After all, isn't this what more popular CAT software companies do all the time, apparently with success? 

The asking per se isn't bad. It's the aspect where we expect that our requests are being fulfilled that can be problematic.

The more features, the more code, the more possible bugs, possible incompatibilities after updates of Java, MS Office and other apps. The more time that is needed to keep things stable, resulting in a overload of work for a developer who prefers to keep things (the software, his life, his company etc.) simple.

Look at what has happened to Déjà Vu: the system got too complex to be maintained by the available programmers. (I must note however, that Déjà Vu (and some other CAT tools) depend heavily on third-party software components, which isn't that much the case with CafeTran Espresso.)

So: please go ahead and ask. But don't expect that all wishes will come true.

(Took me some time to understand this, myself ;) )

BTW: Mario, if you read the release notes/Paul Filkin's comments on the latest incarnation of Studio, you can read how they have removed features from the core app. They will be moved to App Store apps, if necessary/demand still exists. So things got too complicated for SDL (with all its resources) too.

The more features, the more code, the more possible bugs, possible incompatibilities... resulting in a overload of work for a developer who prefers to keep things (the software, his life, his company etc.) simple.

OK, his choice and I respect that . But, forcing users to buy a second CAT tool just because some important features are missing is a bit risky. One might find that the "other" tool, albeit more expensive, has all that is needed after all.

Take the analysis feature, for instance. Why one has to buy a second CAT tool just for that?

So: please go ahead and ask. But don't expect that all wishes will come true.

No, I wan't anymore. I'll just see how CTE develops over time and then I'll decide if it's worth renewing the license.

>I'll just see how CTE develops over time and then I'll decide if it's worth renewing the license.

On Windows you are free to choose whatever you prefer. On macOS (not wanting to run Parallels) you have less choice.

All things considered, I still think that CafeTran Espresso is an excellent choice for me.

I hope that tag placement will improve, that would be the biggest time saver for me. I'm already using macros to position tags after certain words, but a general overhaul would be wise.

I agree that tag placement is the biggest issue for now. It's somewhat erratic. 

A moment ago I got this when moving from segment to segment:

How can it be?

There are many other issues with tags:

1. "Shaking" segment contents (or part of it) when pressing Shift+F3, if the segment contains tags.

2. Tags shrinking from long to short form after Shift+F3.

3. Tags being unintentionally copied from source to target when copying some content with keyboard shortcuts.

4. Segments presented as 100% matches when they differ in tags.

There might be more that I can't recall.

Regarding Excel filter features I'd like to see:

1. Importing "one cell — one segment"

2. Importing as many source columns as there are in the file. Exporting them in target columns of the user's choice.

3. Importing as many context columns as there are in the file.

4. Possibility to choose other columns like ID, comment etc.

5. Doing the above on as many sheets as there are in the file.

6. Importing several similar files at once.

7. Saving import patterns, like A is source, B is target, C is context for reusing them in the future (more than one such pattern in a PT). Visual inspector to see and update them on the fly.

8. Reimport feature (for importing a reviewed file).

As a bonus:

9. Machine-translating context fields of the user's choice and showing results next to the original in the same green context field. Very useful, if some context is in another language that I don't know. It may contain the original source and give some hints about the meaning if English is not clear.

But I'd like to add that without proper handling of tags such an Excel filter would not make a lot of difference. I would still need to use memoQ for handling high-fuzzies, QAing for tags, storing TMs and more.

Login to post a comment