Start a new topic

Prevent automatic addition of languages to the Definitions tab

Would it be possible to disable automatic addition of languages to the Definitions tab? I don't need an input box for English when I'm trhanslating from German.

And the other way around  (dnuora yaw rehto eht dnA)

1 person likes this idea

Sometimes, when I enter the Italian translation for a new Japanese term I like to have the possibility to add the English translation too (in my three-lingual glossary). Sorry, but I hope that this feature is kept.

Surely! It's not about the usefulness of this feature, it's about CafeTran Espresso trying to be too clever, by adding every language you use in a certain project to the list of language definitions. This makes that superfluous languages are displayed in the New term dialogue box, which is in contrast with CafeTran Espresso's design principle of keeping things simple.

Yes, but If CTE were to hide the languages not used in a project, I would not have the possibility to add the other language translation on the fly, which I find particularly useful and clever. Sure, I could do that by editing manually the glossary file, but I would see that going against CafeTran Espresso's design principle of keeping things simple.

If you think that the superfluous language display is annoying, you may request that the New term dialogue box get an "Other languages" button somewhere to unhide that very display. What does Igor think?

Login to post a comment