Start a new topic

adding terms to glossaries with more than 2 languages

Hi, I use a trilingual glossary, and I would like to know how one can add a term to my FR-DE project, for which term an EN-DE entry already exists. Say I want to add the term pair "prédéfini" and "vorgegeben", but I know that I already added "predefined" and "vorgegeben" a couple days ago. If I go ahead and add "prédéfini" and "vorgegeben", the latter would be dublicate. It would be preferable to edit the existing entry of "predefined" and "vorgegeben" by just adding the French "prédéfini" to it. Is there any way to achieve this from within CTE?

It would also be helpful if there was a message indicating that "vorgegeben" already exists in the glossary and if I would like to edit that entry.

Hello Stefan,

In the glossary context menu, you can choose the language for performing glossary searches, or set to All, so that terms from all languages can searched.

I can't test this right now, but doesn't selecting the colored text in the matching entries allow you to edit the entry and add the term in one of the defined languages? It should bring the term dialog. Is there any field that is non-editable?

> how one can add a term to my FR-DE project

if you created a trilingual glossary, that is, with three language defined, simply click at the term in the glossary pane and provide the translation in the third language.

Good morning Jean and Igor,

Many thanks for your replies. I've tried the glossary search with language set to All, to be able to search for a term in the target language of my FR-DE project.

In this case, if I search for "vorgegeben", I get the result shown in my screenshot. I see that there is a glossary entry containing "vorgegeben" (DE) and "predefined" (EN). However, I cannot click on any of the terms for editing as they are greyed out, and I cannot add the term in French.

What is more, the terms are not displayed in the correct language columns, there are German terms in the French column and English terms in the German column. This is the case only for the serach results window when I search for a term that is not in the source language.

If I perform a glossary search for a term in the source language, all terms are in the correct column, and I can click on the source terms to edit the respective entry. It's just that in my case this is not helpful as I have to seach for the term in the target language to dig out any existing entries with that term.

As it is now I am unable to search for a term in the target language and edit that entry. If this worked as it should, it would be great though.

It is hard to tell why the German terms are shown in the French column. Unless the columns have been shifted accidentally in some external application, the German terms should display in the German column while clicking on the source column (even if the source term is missing) opens the Term editor.

My guess is that the column headers, in the first line denoting language codes in your glossary file, might be missing.

I just opened an EN-DE project and searched for a German term, with the same glossary and search set to All, like before. Now it works as you described, all terms are displayed in the proper column and I was able to click on the leftmost column to edit the entry! The problem seems to occur with FR-DE projects only. What can be causing this?

The header of my glossary file is "#de-DE    #en-GB    #fr-FR". I just swapped the FR and EN columns in Excel, now the header is "#de-DE    #fr-FR     #en-GB".

With these two columns swapped, the described issue now appears in EN-DE projects, when searching for a DE term with search set to "All".

Ok, I solved it. I found out that, for some reason, the problem did not occur with a glossary I created that had a "Notes" column in addition to the three language columns. Now all I had to do was open my existing glossary, add "#Notes" to the header and a "tab" at the end of each line. There were about 10000 lines - no problem with enough coffee... and the macro function of Notepad++ ;)

Good lord!

I wonder whether renaming the TXT to CSV/TSV, editing the file as needed in LibreOffice or another compatible program and saving back as a tabulated CSV/TSV (in LibreOffice, this requires asking to edit the filter during save/export) then back to TXT, would have worked with a limited caffeine intake…

Hi Jean, you do not need to rename the file. Just create a symlink and rename it. In the future, you can just edit the .CSV in LO, and the original TXT in CTE. I do that systematically to all my glossaries.

Hi Nicolas,

This sounds brilliant, I will try it soon, thanks!

Hello stefankr 77,

Hello Jean,

Hello Igor, 

I just stumbeld upon this thread. I know it is solved, but I would like to add the following:

I also use DE FR EN actually, my headers read as follows:

#de-AT   #fr-FR   #en-US  #Context   #Subject   #Client   #Notes  #Reference   #Abreviation

I use a main glossary for years with 35000 entries.

In the past I added 2000 terms for FR-EN leaving DE empty !!!

That did not work properly even though I followed exactly what Jean suggested (no blame for Jean though, only my mistake/stupidity!!).

So I am currently reworking on these entries manually + some other mistakes I committed in the past. It means a full week of work. Anyhow.

I would love to see real fonctionalities / possibilities to edit glossaries convienently in CT, because IMHO glossaries are the most important asset we have as translators (set aside good TMX). I miss batch editing functionalities. I also would love to get the possibility to add pictures to the glossaries turning them into real dictionnaries. Pictures that are shown when consulting the term / glossary. This is extremely usefull with technical parts of machinery .... for the sake of clarity.

Just some thoughts from my side on glossaries.

Stay save, all of you !!!



Login to post a comment