For a week or so I keep, randomly, getting CafeTran to lag in the middle of a project, then it freezes. After I try to click it I get: "OpenJDK Platform binary is not responding". Is my laptop at fault or is it a bug? Could you help, please? This is my 3rd time force closing CafeTran with the hope it will let me finish this project. And the deadlines are no joke
4 GB RAM might be too low to work comfortably nowadays. Consider adding more RAM, which is the cheapest and quickest way to improve computer responsiveness.
In the meantime, to keep using your big TMs with less memory consumption, I suggest you also set the Matching type to Fuzzy (instead of Fuzzy & Hits) in each TM options: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/3-TM-options#tm-options
"Greedy exact matches" should be left enabled, as per default setting.
For TMs that you only use for reference (read-only mode), you can also set the Workflow integration to "Preliminary memory matching" instead of "Automatic". The processing occurs at the beginning, then the memory/resource footprint is much lesser as you go through your translation project.
Finally, if you use web resources within CafeTran, also be advised these do consume memory/computer resources in the same way as if you had them open in a browser. If you use such web resources, try querying them outside CafeTran, without their tabs open. Furthermore, try disabling "Simultaneous web search" in the Resources menu.
Both other users and I (the developer) are doing their best to help you. Another approach might be as follows:
1. Reset the program via Edit > Preferences > the Reset button.
2. After restart, set Java memory value at 2048 again in Edit > Preferences > Memory tab > Java memory field.
3. You can try increasing Java memory value just a bit more (e.g. to 2500). However, bear in mind that with 4 GB of RAM in your laptop, half of that may be already taken by the operating system itself and other applications and/or cloud services.
You said that 2 weeks ago. I tried everything. It didn't work !
It never got resolved, was just opening it until it stuck (sometimes 2-3 times, sometimes I quit and managed without, next day the same cycle). Today, this is the 8th time I had to "End Task" CafeTran.
My system is twice the requirement, my TMs are small, and I have no support in fixing it !!!!
I'm super angry!
Yes, it seems it happens with EVERY project. I use only 2 web resources only. And have 4 pretty big TMs only. I'll open a ticket, thank you.
Does this happen with any project, even with no big TM or web resources used?
If yes, have you opened a support ticket? This is the only step I can think of.
Is there no fix to this? It crashed again, and again... and I'm frustrated.
It crashed again. So I followed the issue on Task Manager where "OpenJDK Platform binary" and, implicitly, my CafeTran project, had a "Not responding" status and had hogged almost all my CPU memory. By right click, I went to the Proprieties and the javaw.exe application (located in the installation folder of CafeTran) where I clicked Compatibility>Run compatibility troubleshooter. It sure did something, not sure what... Said it was fixed and I should save the changes.
I did. Now I opened CafeTran again and the CPU usage of "OpenJDK Platform binary" is about <10% and lower.
Now, I actually have no idea what I did or if I fixed the issue. Could you give me your opinion? Is It bad?
Thank you and sorry for constantly bothering you.
Yes, it reads "13.0.1 OpenJDK 64-bit Server VM". Not sure if it read differently before.
Since you have uninstalled CafeTran and installed the latest version, the program should now be using the built-in Java version (OpenJDK).
The error message about OpenJDK seems to point to this built-in version, so updating the system Java version should have no impact.
You can confirm the Java version used in Help > About. The built-in version reads "12-ea [or 13] OpenJDK 64-bit Server VM".
I did, right after reading the "https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000160241-slowing-down-or-exiting-unexpectedly" article Jean suggested. After doing that, I updated Java while CafeTran was opened. (Could this have had something to do with it?) When the update was done I returned to my translation and it froze (and crashed) again. Just now I opened CafeTran and checked the memory value (2048) but can't actually tell if the problem is finally solved. It only froze and crashed in the middle of a translation. Guess I will see a few hours from now...
With 4GB of RAM, I would suggest setting Java memory size in Preferences > Memory tab to 2048. You can check if the program sets this value in CafeTran's Help > About panel. See the max value of Java memory size field there.
Thank you for this information.
Since it does not seem to be a RAM issue (1024 MB was low and could explain lagging/hanging), I think the developer will have to chime in (or you can create a support ticket).
OK, 1 minute after opening, the same "OpenJDK Platform binary is not responding". And CafeTran is unresponding and unusable again. The memory was not the issue.