Start a new topic

SDL TM won't stick

Every time an SDL project is re-opened (for example after a break), the previously imported TM must be re-imported. I presume that this is due to the fact that CTE doesn't create a specific project for SDL works.

Is there a workaround to avoid repeating the re-import step every time?  

Thank you

You not talking about any enclosed Studio memory, are you? TMX files can be loaded via PTs.

I'm not talking about SDL Packages. In many cases, like this, clients send me only sdlxliff and sdltm files. I know that TMX memories can be loaded via PTs, but I just import SDLTMs directly. I prefer to avoid converting SDLTMs to TMX memories, unless it's the only solution to my issue. 

Is there a different way, perhaps?

AFAIK, CafeTran will always concert them to TMX.

I don't care if CTE converts SDLTMs to TMX memories (I guess it must do so anyway). I would only like that it remembered to keep the TMX attached, because now it's an additional thing to remember all the times I reopen CTE.

I wonder why CTE doesn't create a project with sdlxliff files too (not SDL packages) as it does with all other file types, 

Perhaps you can create it manually?
You can (let someone) write an AHK macro to create a package from any sdlxliff and sdltm files.

I will try to do so for the Mac platform and share the info gathered, for AutoHotkey on the Windows platform.

When you open a package which contains an SDLTM or import an SDLTM via the Memory menu, it is converted into TMX.

Here is what you can do to avoid having to reimport the SDLTM:

- Memory > Import > Import SDLTM memory (unless it's attached to a package)

- Make sure the "Read-only" option is NOT enabled in the initial TM options dialog.

- Memory > Save as > select the location and a name. Use .tmx as the extension (optional).

- You can then reuse the TMX (or attach it to the Dashboard) as you would any other TMX.

Note: I still suggest the resulting TMX is used as "read-only" once thusly saved, to avoid mixing the "reference" TM with your own translations.

---

Mario: I wonder why CTE doesn't create a project with sdlxliff files too (not SDL packages) as it does with all other file types, 

Because handling SDLXLIFF files is part of a different workflow: "Translate external project". Since you know how CafeTran handles such files (it edits them at their current location), you can place them to where native projects are created if you wish so.

alwayslockyourbike: I will try to do so for the Mac platform and share the info gathered, for AutoHotkey on the Windows platform.

Thank you for trying to help me, but I have no time now to learn AutoHotkey just for running CTE the way it better suits me.

Jean DimitriadisBecause handling SDLXLIFF files is part of a different workflow: "Translate external project". Since you know how CafeTran handles such files (it edits them at their current location), you can place them to where native projects are created if you wish so.

Thank you. As a workaround, I think I should start using the CTE-generated TMX memory. 

Luckily, I never translate SDL packages and only have to deal with separately provided files (sending back only the translated sdlxliff file). Still, since CTE has the capability to convert SDLTMs to TMX memories automatically (while with my previous CAT tool I had to do that myself, but I never complained about that), I wonder if it's not possible for CTE to handle such files (I repeat, not provided as packages) as internal projects by automatically converting the SDLTM to TMX and attach the latter to such projects.

Well, I know I'm asking too much and probably I'm the only one bringing up this issue. But...

Login to post a comment