Start a new topic

Don't send to TM

Am I the only one wishing to have a shortcut to mark specific segments so that they are not sent to write-enabled TMs?

I used it a lot in my previous CAT tool (DVX) to avoid sending numbers, dates and garbage to TMs. I wonder who really wants to pollute memories with such useless data?

It is true that last year upon my request Igor introduced an indirect solution, which consists of sending everything to a TM and then removing it. But it's a workaround and I often forget how to use it.

What I would like to request is a simple shortcut (or a right-click option) that can be used directly while translating.

>It is true that last year upon my request Igor introduced an indirect solution, which consists of sending everything to a TM and then removing it. But it's a workaround and I often forget how to use it.

You mean these useful items?

It's not that. It's the "Remove filtered TMX units", but now that I remember was not exactly for the purpose of my present request.

At any rate, "Remove TMX units with no letters" is not useful with dates (that may contain letters too, particularly when translating from Japanese) nor with badly written source segments. (Have you ever translated from English texts that on their turn have been badly translated by non-native English speakers? In this case, would sending such segments to a TM so that they are used for auto-assembly be useful? Would you in any case like to have garbage in your TMs?)

These are the typical situations when the command I'm suggesting is really useful, especially when at the end of a project you decide to send everything to a TM.

To be clear: I'm not questioning the use of your request. Why would I.

That having said, I have to 'admit' that many of my memories are full of garbage. Of course not produced by me, ;), but by the generations of predecessors that have worked for my many clients.

Back to your question:

>Am I the only one wishing to have a shortcut to mark specific segments so that they are not sent to write-enabled TMs?

As far as I know, locked segments aren't sent to memory.

And are you aware of this icon: 

This is indeed the case. But, I am particularly referring to situations when you use a CAT tool even if it's not expressly required by customers.

As far as I know, locked segments aren't sent to memory.

I didn't know that. I'll experiment.

And are you aware of this icon:

Of course I am. I've been using it extensively since starting with CTE. But it doesn't help when you decide to send the whole project to a TM.

>And are you aware of this icon:

>Of course I am. I've been using it extensively since starting with CTE. But it doesn't help when you decide to send the whole project to a TM.

I cannot deny that. Well, hmm, even that I can.

You could decide to approve segments during proofreading. Then filter on Approved and send them to a new, clean memory. 

Too much work, too many clicks (there are already too many in CTE, in my opinion). A simple shortcut would be the easiest and most straightforward solution, so I hope that Igor will take it into consideration.

2 people like this

I support your hope!

Login to post a comment