Start a new topic

REQUEST: Ignore all

We've had this before, but I would like to request an 'ignore all' spellchecking option (N.B. not 'add to dictionary'.)

To be clear, what I'd like is an easy way to ignore a word identified as misspelt for this project only, and not for any other projects.

Last time I requested this I was told to use the hard way – set up a non-translatables glossary for this project and add it to that. I don't want a hard way, I want an easy way, as available in all other CAT tools and word processors.

Cheers,
Jeremy

You don't need to create a separate glossary for non-translatables. Just use the Project glossary as follows.

1. Select a word to be ignored.

2. Click the pencil button in the target editor toolbar (or use the ALT+G shortcut).

3. Precede your word with ! character (e.g !NASA) and click OK.

Hi Igor,

thanks for the tip.

I'm having problems with this however. It seems to sometimes exclude the item from spell-checking and sometimes not.

The term I'm trying to exclude right now is 'sartans' (a class of drugs). (Note that it's not actually a non-translatable, the source language term is different.) But however I enter '!sartans" in the glossary (I've tried every possible combination) it still gets marked as misspelt. As a control I tried it with another term (which I can't reveal here, but is an actual non-translatable), and it works as expected.

Any idea what's going on? Does this only work for non-translatable? If so, it's not a solution.

Thanks
Jeremy

I believe you are testing it now by typing anywhere just to check. There is a caveat here though - the non-translatable must actually exist in the source segment. You should see it marked there as non-translatable.  The coming hidden non-translatables feature will also let you hide such words behind tags so that they will not be visible at all.

Hi Igor,

if I've understood you correctly, this means this does only work for actual non-translatables, i.e. it isn't a solution to my problem. (I want to be able to ignore anything, not just non-translatables.)

Whilst hidden non-translatables would make this a workable workaround, it's still a workaround. How about just implementing an 'ignore all' function? It wouldn't have to be persistant. (I don't think it is in other CAT tools or word processors.) Surely that's simpler than hidden non-translatables?

Jeremy

Oh, and just to add. As it happens, I am using a project glossary for this job, but otherwise I rarely do. If you're not using one, this isn't a solution either, even with hidden NTs.

P.S: Is there a problem with Freshdesk? Every time I post something a page with the following message is displayed:

"We're sorry, but something went wrong.

We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly."

The post gets posted anyway, so it's not a huge problem, but it is an inconvenience.

> How about just implementing an 'ignore all' function? It wouldn't have to be persistent.

Ignoring a spelling mistake for the current session will be added in the next update.

That's awesome, I was about to ask for this, too. Thank you, Igor! Looking forward to the update :)

Great, thanks!!

Great enhancement! Thanks.

And this is what it looks like:

Would it be possible to make CTE remember what terms I ignored, when one closes and reopens a project? As it is now, all the terms I marked as ignored during translation, are shown as spelling mistakes again if I close a project and open it again for checking the following day. It would be good if there was a way to ignore them for good, for a given project.

I guess that the only way to achieve this, is by editing/renaming/maintaining several versions of your user.dic for Hunspell.

If the words are identical in source and target and you want to ignore them, you can add them to a dedicated non-translatables glossaries. But for this, the word has to be present in the source too.

I haven’t found confirmation yet, but I assume that Hunspell can only use 1 custom dictionary per language variant. In CafeTran you can generate a list of all unknown words. You could add this list manually to your custom dictionary and remove the items once you’ve finished your current project. Needless to say that this could be automated with AHK or KBM.
Login to post a comment