Start a new topic

Excel column import

Hello!


I'm using for the first time the Excel filter function and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I have to import and overwrite column B (but only half of it). This is what I did: hide the part of the column which I don't need in Excel and "Import source column: B" in CT. Do I have to do anything else? Because unfortunately CT also imports column A... :-(

Thanks in advance!


Elisabetta




Hm, with this setting, Column A should not be imported. Are there any merged cells between these two columns (A-B)? This may be the culprit. Also, I have not used the "hide" feature, if you try without it, does it work?


--


Surefire method: You can also create a new document with only the content you wish to translate, and use that, without filters.


Upon export, you will only need to paste the translation to the original.


Pro tips:


- When you use an Excel filter, make sure you export a test translation early (or at least a preview), to avoid unpleasant surprises later.

- If you wish to translate each cell content as one segment (instead of applying sentence segmentation), try using the Document segmentation option.


--


Maybe open a ticket for this, so that Igor can take a look?

Hi Jean,


thank you. Yes, same problem without Excel "hide" feature. Yes, it seems that column B and C are merged, but I'm not sure, as I almost never use Excel (see attached). Yes, I would use the copy-paste method, but I have 15 files and don't want to do extra work, if possible :-D

Preview is fine, thanks!


Elisabetta

Cattura.JPG
(33.4 KB)

I've tried to replicate the screenshot, and adding B in the "Import source column" seems to work.


Maybe I'm missing the entire file structure, or something else.


I assume the file is confidential, so I'd open a ticket if I were you, unless you can completely anonymize it (for example, by replace the content) and attach it here.

Sure, it's anonymized and attached (without hidden part)

xlsx

Thank you for sharing this, Elisabetta.


It seems that the content you wish to translate is in both B and C (if you select the B column, clicking on B in Excel or LibreOffice, you see some cells with translatable content stop being highlighted, past line 67, and belong to C).


Please try creating a new project with the following in the "Import source column" (since the export columns are the same, no other argument is needed):


B:C


For some reason adding "B, C" produces the following error: "No text for import in the source document!".


Igor, can you explain the difference between these two options (comma versus colon) and why they produce a different result here?


If the other 14 files have the exact same structure, this should work for all docs. If not, I think you can still add more documents individually to the same project (Project >Add document), only changing the filter to match the translatable columns upon adding them.


Let me know if that works!


Jean

PS: it works here on the anonymized file.

Thanks for your help, Jean. I've tried, but unfortunately I still get column A even with the B:C option in "Import source"... It's not that bad, anyway, I'll do some copy-paste :-)

I'm sorry to hear that.


Using this B:C option, I don't get column A, and I find it disturbing that CT's behavior is not consistent as I can't see any setting that could interfere with this.


I was using the Document segmentation type, but trying Sentence does not change the behavior (column A content still excluded).



The comma character in the title of the "Import source column" field is used only to separate the examples of usage (A, B, C). You should read it as "or", and not as the actual symbol for defining the range.  


1 person likes this
Login to post a comment