Start a new topic

Is CTE still being developped?

I've been using CTE for more than one year and since the beginning there have been many updates, at times more than one a month. Until about four months ago, although numerous requests for improvement/optimization are continuously being made.

It's obvious, at least to me, that something has changed, but what? In what direction? What should we expect in the short/long term?

I just hope that Igor took a sabbatical. I would, if I worked at his pace for the period of time that he did. :-)

Either that, or something really big is coming :).

Like a hostile takeover of SDL ;-)

Who needs old technology?

> something has changed

Nothing has changed.

> four months

You make it sound like four years. :)

Wabi-sabi - If anyone, Japanese translators might appreciate it :)

Wabi-sabi - If anyone, Japanese translators might appreciate it :)

Your reference to the wabi-sabi concept—which original meaning was something like "nothing lasts, nothing is finished and nothing is perfect", where replacing the first nothing with "CTE doesn’t" and the second and the third one with "CTE isn't" might be tempting if only as a jest—is very interesting and engaging.

But if in the most modern sense it can also be interpreted as flawed beauty, whereas its rustic simplicity, freshness or understated elegance and, again, imperfect quality and/or imperfect reliability constitute its fundamental beauty, the quirks and anomalies arising from its design can also be understood as signs of special uniqueness and elegance in a market of perfect CAT tools. Then, CTE could even become an object of pure contemplation. So yes, we could even live with CTE as it is right now.

Jokes apart, if "something really big is really coming", which of course I hope provided that you keep having fun, am I still in time to suggest to call the next CTE upgrade... Wabi-sabi?

It's nice to see that CTE users have a sense of humour.  One day, we might come up with some Zen rules for CafeTran indeed.  I think the next update will be released in the autumn.

I think the next update will be released in the autumn.

Good news, and sorry for spoiling the surprise!

Frankly speaking, I rather prefer substantial updates every now and then than a flurry of small updates just to keep everyone momentarily happy.

This is probably good for you too, so that you can better plan your bird-watching activities to sense the serene melancholy, the spiritual longing and the loneliness that only nature can provide.

It's my ultimate wabi-sabi goal too, but then I'm afraid I won't need Cafetran any longer.

>I rather prefer substantial updates every now and then than a flurry of small updates just to keep everyone momentarily happy. 

On the other hand, it should be possible to release hot fixes for urgent issues.

On the other hand, it should be possible to release hot fixes for urgent issues.

Yes, this goes without saying of course. My experience with CTE is rather limited and therefore I cannot say how it developed in the past, but what I meant is that maybe we have been "spoiled" by a swift implementation of numerous and perhaps not so urgent requests that could have been grouped under a less frequent update, but possibly more frequent than DVX's...

It already has been streamlined very much, with one mayor update a year.

Login to post a comment