Start a new topic

REQ: Selecting memories when opening existing project

I'd like to request either:

a) that the memories and glossaries selected ón the dashboard are disregarded when opening an eisting project, i.e. that only the memories and glossaries specified in the project file are opened. (My preferred option)

or

b) a 'Clear selected memories and glossaries' button on the dashboard. (I know you can do this in four clicks, but I'd like to do it in one.)

I've lost count of the number of times I've reopened a project only to realise after a few minutes that I'm clogging up an entirely unrelated TM with irrelevant segments.

1 person likes this idea

Seconded, the same happens to me way too often.

This is one aspect of CTE that I saw being discussed various times since I switched from my previous CAT tool one year ago, and I hope it were handled with the highest priority (among other priorities that, in my opinion, would make CTE more appealing to experienced users of other CAT tools too), possibly before other smaller requests here and there that, as important as they might be for the improvement of CTE auto-assembling algorithms, in my opinion end up drawing precious time from the developer's time.

This could be solved by tying projects to templates, a feature that has been announced some time ago. Currently, when I switch between projects, I first select the corresponding template.

Currently, when I switch between projects, I first select the corresponding template.

This is what I too do with new projects (not always succeeding to get things right, though), but when reusing existing projects I always need to check if unrelated memories and/or glossaries got attached.

These unrelated memories and/or glossaries will automatically be deselected when selecting the right template.

I've got the impression that it's not always so, but I'll pay a special attention and report back. Anyway, having always to resort to templates to fix this problem is not the ideal solution in my opinion.

No, that’s why I wrote: they should be tied.
And there is indeed an exception: a selected project memory checkbox won’t be unselected when switching templates.

What happens if you close the Dashboard and use Project > Open project/Open project folder or Project > Recent projects instead?

I expect this should work for native projects. For external projects, Project templates are more or less a "must".

What happens if you close the Dashboard and use Project > Open project/Open project folder?

When I tried to open an existing *native* project this way, CTE opened it but without the originally assigned TMs, glossaries and resources. Re-attaching them manually would not be a problem, but what if I don't remember exactly which ones they were when I did the previous translation for that very project?

No, I tried with another project (Project > Open project) and this time CTE opened it with all TMs and glossaries attached as it was when I last used it. I think I will keep experimenting with this way to open existing projects, for it might be a good solution.

Login to post a comment