Start a new topic

SDL return packages

Two different customers have been telling me they have problems opening sdlrpx packages exported from CT. Anybody else with the same problem?

Can you open them alright in your own SDL Studio?

AFAIK you cannot open return packages in SDL Freelance edition

Only the project manager can do that.

I just verified and loaded an SDLPPX in Studio 2017 FL and then the SDLRPX I created in CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant. The return package was correctly loaded.

Thank you. I tried to import the sdlrpx into Studio 2019 but only get error messages.

If you create an SDLPPX instead, can you open it without error messages in SDL Trados?

If there still are errors, make sure no tag issues (and, if possible, tag space issues) are present during QA in CT.

You can also try removing alternative translations and/or notes (although the latter should be supported).

---

When translating SDL Trados packages in CT, I prefer exporting a package (SDLPPX) and opening it in SDL Trados. After checking that all is OK there (sometimes, the status needs tweaking), I export the return package from there.

Since you have Studio 2017 FL, this could be an option for you.

Jean

Thanks Jean, sounds like a good solution to check out sdl packages. Will try that on my next sdlppx project. 

And thanks to ALYB for the suggestion about importing sdlterms into CT. I wasn't aware of that (great) option.

I'm getting the following error from time to time when I import a return package into Studio.

I can't work out what is causing this problem - it only seems to have started in the last week or so. AFAIK, I didn't change anything on my system.

I also can't see any problems with the filenames either after the package has been imported.

Anyone got any ideas or similar experience?

Have seen that too. Clients didn’t complain. Perhaps a change in Studio

I don't think it really causes a problem, but I have a client who keeps coming back and requesting a fixed package.

Not a serious problem, because I can just create another return package from Studio, but it does add an extra step.

Ah. Now I remember. This error is in the ppx already.

From what you write, you are exporting a return package then try to import it in Studio.

If you haven't created the original package, as I wrote beforem I think it makes more sense to export a package, NOT a return package in CafeTran, open that in SDL Trados, and create a return package from there.

I assure you perform some last checks in SDL Trados, otherwise, it's just about creating and sending a return package from CafeTran.

Does the client complain in either of the above cases? (export package from Cafetran, create return package from SDL Trados and send to client // Export return package directly from CafeTran and send to client)

"I assure you perform some last checks in SDL Trados, otherwise, it's just about creating and sending a return package from CafeTran."

Sometimes I need to run it through Studio, sometimes not.

For small jobs with a few changes from an older job, it's quicker just to create the return package in CT.

My client has started complaining when I create the return package in CT (without Studio at all) (your "Export return package directly from CafeTran and send to client").

Basically, I have to run it back through Studio to get an error-free package for the client ("export package from Cafetran, create return package from SDL Trados and send to client").

I'm just wondering why it's only started being a problem in the last approx. 7 days.

It's quite annoying, because CT is the fastest way to process a few changes e.g. in updated manuals, which my client sends to me as massive Studio projects that (ironically) Studio processes very slowly!

Login to post a comment