Start a new topic

Request: Cursor position after inserting TM/MT content

Words are not enough to say how happy I am with CT after six months into the experience :)

The one thing that could further smoothen my workflow is, if the cursor was automatically positioned at the _beginning_ of the target segment after I have copied TM or MT content into the editor. I don't know everybody else's workflow, but I find myself constantly pressing Ctrl-Pos1 before starting to edit the inserted content. Or maybe I am missing something elementary? Please let me know :)

>Words are not enough to say how happy I am with CT after six months into the experience :) 

Please give it a try!

>The one thing that could further smoothen my workflow is, if the cursor was automatically positioned at the _beginning_ of the target segment after I have copied TM or MT content into the editor. I don't know everybody else's workflow, but I find myself constantly pressing Ctrl-Pos1 before starting to edit the inserted content. Or maybe I am missing something elementary? Please let me know :)

How about pressing PageUp? (not sure, since I'm not on Windows)

BTW: The current implementation with the whole segment selected offers very nice possibilities (e.g. hitting DEL will delete the segments content, hitting CTRL+= will toggle the case, etc.)

On Linux, I am, and after contents is copied by keyboard shortcut, the Cursor blinks at the end of the target segment. The only case where I could find this useful is, if I was to accept the copied contents _and_ just wanted to add something after the full stop.

> Words are not enough to say how happy I am with CT after six months into the experience :) 

Great of know it. Thanks!

> The one thing that could further smoothen my workflow is, if the cursor was automatically positioned at the _beginning_ of the  target segment after I have copied TM or MT content into the editor.

It is a reasonable propositon to start edit the segment from the beginning (rather then from the end) after the MT or TM transfer.

Igor

That was quick, Igor, thank you very much :))

Bringing this subject up again ...

I am very happy with the new cursor position at the beginning of the target segment after *inserting TM or MT content*.

Now, I wish the same change could be applied so the curser would blink at the beginning of the target segment after *copying the source segment text* as well.

Best, Marko

I'm using v10.4.1, and the cursor is still blinking at the *end* of target segments after inserting TM or MT content.

It depends on how you transfer. CafeTran sets the cursor at the start of the segment if you transfer the full TM or MT match via either keyboard shortcuts or the mouse-click on the text in the Matchboard.

I see. That's right. I was using "Automatic Transfer"

When the “Automatic Transfer” setting is used for automatically transferring the MT result to the target segment, or when a Fuzzy match or Auto-assembling result is automatically inserted (if it is higher than the insertion threshold defined in Preferences > Memory), the cursor blinks at the end of the segment, but most importantly, the whole inserted text is selected.

If you start typing, the whole text is deleted.

I think this is very practical, because the MT results/Fuzzy matches or Auto-assembling suggestions need to be deleted, to start translating from scratch. I like it that this is the default behavior.

To actually start typing at the end of the inserted text, where the blinking cursor is, you need to press the right arrow first.

That said, there are keyboard shortcuts for quickly placing the cursor at the beginning or end of a word, segment or segment line. These are OS dependent, and I’m not sure what they are for MacOS, but on Linux, I use: 

Ctrl+Arrow to go from one word to another (+Shift to keep selecting words).

Home/End to go to the beginning/end of a segment line.

Ctrl+Home/End to go the beginning/end of a segment.

Jean

Login to post a comment