Start a new topic

Hardware crash and...

I always worry that on a certain Sunday my main PC (the one with CTE installed) crashes on me. I've got plenty of back-up PCs, but being Sunday and Igor out on picnic I find myself in the s**t. What should I do?

Has anybody ever experienced this? Isn't this scenario scaring you off too?

Ah, I do not intend to subscribe to Proz.com Plus (that would allow me to enjoy the floating license)!

Hi Mario,

everybody should have at least one backup computer and given the cost of a CT licence, a second licence, too. That's what I have on my MBP in case my desktop Mac should fail.

You can place CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant in a virtual machine or take a Sunday off.

> or take a Sunday off

Made my day. I would recommend 

• a second installation (aren't we entitled to have 2 codes for one license?)
  • more tools (if you use to work on external files, I'd recommend a license of this program, at least for checking)
  • a Proz.com Plus membership (it might make problems with weak connections)

soundwordeverybody should have at least one backup computer and given the cost of a CT licence, a second licence, too. 

We (me and my wife) have a total of 6 pcs and we take many back-ups a day (also on the cloud). Therefore, in theory we are prepared for any contingency.

Having to purchase two licences is a bit too much, I think. For a minimal additional amount of money Many CAT tools nowadays give you two mutually-excluding license codes to be used through a remote server, but most importantly they are not bound to a specific hardware (PC).

Now, I may have misunderstood the situation completely: isn't CTE license hardware-specific? I thought it gets generated based on your current PC, or no?

alwayslockyourbikeYou can place CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant in a virtual machine 

Right recently I was thinking about this. But please see my reply to sounword.

>Now, I may have misunderstood the situation completely: isn't CTE license hardware-specific? I thought it gets generated based on your current PC, or no?

It's bound to a configuration, rather than to hardware, I'd say. And you can virtualise this configuration via Virtualbox.org.

tre: aren't we entitled to have 2 codes for one license?

This is what I would love to know for certain. If they are not hardware-specific, how do they work exactly?

** License files are generated specifically for a given computer. If you work on more than one machine, however, you may request that a license file be generated also for your second computer.

This is what I've just read in the CTE website. So, we are entitled to receive an additional license code for a second computer, which means that the two licenses will work (only) on two *specific* hardware. Too good it would be if the licensing system were different and allowed to use *any* computer or virtual machines we may have, provided that only one is used at the time..

This indeed could easily lead to abuse, and we users should feel obliged to avoid that (imagine an agency with a license that keeps giving away licenses for free - how to control this?).

There is no system that works without flaw. You can deactivate your Studio licenses online, but it might take several hours until you can install another instance. IMHO memoQ uses the most resilient system with server activation: you are entitled to 2 licenses, and you can re-license as long as you did not do it in the near past. If you did, well, then you might have the same problem.

treThis indeed could easily lead to abuse, and we users should feel obliged to avoid that (imagine an agency with a license that keeps giving away licenses for free - how to control this?).

By saying "provided that only one (computer) is used at the time" I meant that you are unable to abuse the system, since the server checks that your are using the license on only one computer actually.

Atril (the Dejavu developer) also has a nice activation/deactivation system in place, which I wish to see used by CTE too one day.  

Login to post a comment