Start a new topic

REQ: Better fuzzy marking

Besides the possibility of finally getting a new segment state (see here) it is a major annoyance that 102, 101 and 100 % matches and edited segments are hard to distinguish from Fuzzies.

This is compared to other elements rather small and hard to differentiate. You need to concentrate on this small field, e.g. if it is 99 %, 101 % or 45 %.

A clear differentiation by color would be great here, just to avoid confirming fuzzies. Fuzzies or prepoluated segments can also be in imported external projects (Studio packages etc.).

1 person likes this idea

Some more illustration:

Two colors are indicating TM and glossary matches. But the fact that it is only a 65 % match is rather getting lost. Black is bad here.

There could be a customizable color for:

• the whole target segment (not my preference, WF does so)
  • the whole right bar (my preference)
  • only the box with the match number (not my preference, as quite small)  

Can you maybe provide a bit more surrounding context for your screenshots? It's hard to see what we are actually looking at. My layout is very different to yours, and I also mainly use the Matchboard these days to look at matches/fuzzies, etc.

Michael

I would use the matchboard if it was somehow to configure in a reasonable way.

It's hard to see what we are actually looking at.

These are target segments only, and indeed this is the point. You can hardly distingish if this segment is a 100 % match, a 88 % match, a 35 % match or an edited segment ... if not staring a this very small percentage value.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you not like about the current configurability of the Matchboard? What's lacking?

Michael

Short answer:

• no sort in order of appearance
  • no reasonable sorting of things (first MT, then AA, then fuzzy? really?)
  • no custom colors (green for TB matches?)
  • waste of screen space when using  "fuzzy source segments"
  • to say it in a rather diplomatic way: for a tool that underlines its clear and easy GUI this matchboard is still in a very early stadium
Back to topic: The lack of clear visual indication and differentiation between a CM or an EM, a fuzzy or anything else is really unique, unfortunately.

Thanks for your detailed answer, see my response below (bold = you, non-bold = me):

no sort in order of appearance :

Agree that it would be nice, although I personally would never use this option.

no reasonable sorting of things (first MT, then AA, then fuzzy? really?) :

Hmm, to be honest, I love the current order.

no custom colors (green for TB matches?) :

Customisation is always great (the more the merrier!), although I like the green for TB matches.

waste of screen space when using "fuzzy source segments" :

Hmm, not sure how this could be improved, other than switching it off of course, which I never do as I now use the Matchboard to view fuzzies instead of looking at a memories pane. I am slo very happy that s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶ text finally got implemented, which makes things a lot clearer than the previous red highlighting IYAM.

to say it in a rather diplomatic way: for a tool that underlines its clear and easy GUI this matchboard is still in a very early stadium:

It could still be improved here and there, but then again, isn't this true of everything? It has definitely gotten better and better since it was first introduced, and I'm sure Igor will continue to tinker on it and add/change little things here and there. 

Michael

re Back to topic: The lack of clear visual indication and differentiation between a CM or an EM, a fuzzy or anything else is really unique, unfortunately.’ … yes, this could probably be improved a bit, although I hadn't actually noticed it was a problem.

> isn't this true of everything?

Yes, it is.

> I'm sure Igor will continue to tinker

Yes, I will as long as it does not mean driving the program into the direction of an unmanageable monster hard to maintain and improve/change (for the developer) or the Boeing-like cockpit with hundreds of individualized options/toggles (for the user).  The Matchboard has already several options available after the right-click at its pane. You can disable the kind of matches which you deem useless in your workflow.

I'd like to see the requests that propose simplicity and underline authenticity which I hope, or I would love to aim at, CafeTran excels in.

> Boeing-like cockpit with hundreds of individualized options/toggles

Any pilot working on a Boeing will tell you that this cockpit is rather easy to handle. CAT tools always address beginners and advanced users. In the best of worlds both should be satisfied.

> simplicity and underline authenticity

There might be nothing simpler and more authentical than to present the TB hits in their order of appearance in the source text (than e.g. to sort them by an undefined "quality"), or to position AA and fuzzies above MT results.

Login to post a comment