Start a new topic

Some more assistance with simple tag placing

Would it be possible to get some more assistance with placing of simple, grouped tags, surrounding numbers?

I have zillions of simple instructions to translate. All terms are auto-assembled. The only thing that I have to do is to place one tag left and right of the part number:

Open the can of worms 1122. 

1 person likes this idea

If this is too complicate to implement in auto-assembling, it'd already be a GREAT HELP if a feature would be added that could be used after auto-assembling: just surround all numbers from left to right with tags.

Even greater help it'd be if any leading non-breaking space would be inserted before the first tags.

Yup, I'm totally spoiled, but this tag placing is time-consuming and very boring.

>Yup, I'm totally spoiled, but this tag placing is time-consuming and very boring.

And as we can read here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/332155-how_have_you_adapted_to_changes_in_the_translation_industry_in_recent_years.html

we'll have to accommodate and improve our productivity, to survive as human translators.

I had assumed this kind of 

IF tags in source around numbers 

THEN put tags around same numbers in target automatically

already worked. 

It doesn't. At least not on my computers, with my settings.

Duh, I just realised: perhaps this related to the file format (sdlxliff) too?

Here are my settings for auto-assembling:

>Duh, I just realised: perhaps this related to the file format (sdlxliff) too?

Probably related to the file format SDLXLIFF. I think that there is an issue with tag recognition/handling. Reason for this assumption: when I forget to enter the number-spanning tags, I can navigate to the next segment without any warning. When I forget only one tag, I get this warning:

I'll send the project to Igor and kindly request him to have a look at it.

Internally CafeTran checks for paired tags so the warning dialog pops up if the second tag in the pair is missing.

You can insert non-translatable with the surrounding tags via the F4 shortcut. Insertion of numbers with the surrounded tags have been added in the last update.

Automatic placing of tags around non-translatables in auto-assembling may be added in the future. 

1 person likes this

>Automatic placing of tags around non-translatables in auto-assembling may be added in the future. 

That would be great. Thank you already for considering this.

>You can insert non-translatable with the surrounding tags via the F4 shortcut. Insertion of numbers with the surrounded tags have been added in the last update.

True, but via auto-assembling, the non-translatables are already present. Any chance to get a keyboard shortcut Remove non-translatables?

>Any chance to get a keyboard shortcut Remove non-translatables?

This would mean that you'd have to navigate to the positions where you have removed the non-translatables earlier, which is a waste of time (and clicks).

A better approach would be to:

• delete all tags (which will be inserted wrong in most cases)
  • cycle through all non-translatables that already have been inserted
  • replace each non-translatable with itself, but now with spanning tags

Login to post a comment