Start a new topic

Request: ignore bullets

It would be nice if CT made it easier to deal with bullet characters (ideally by excluding bullets at the start of a segment and any following whitespace/tabs from the segment completely).

This applies probably primarily to OCRed documents, since Word bullets are non-text. I appreciate that the range of characters used for such bullets is not small, but at least excluding unicode "BULLET"and perhaps other common bullet characters would be a good start.

Alternatively being able to specify characters as non-translatable, analagous to the 'Do not match' option on the Memory tab in Preferencs, would work too.

The main situation where this is an issue for me is where I have good memory or MT matches on bulleted segments, but can't simply use the usually shortcuts to quickly insert the matches. Instead I have to faff about copying the bullet from the source text.

It would be great if this could be improved.

I think a pure mechanical rule would not work here: Too many bullet characters and variations. But a kind of "treat this character and the following tag(s) as non-translatable in this project", "insert this character and the following tag(s) anywhere where appropriate in this project" or a kind of learning effect would be great. 

>Instead I have to faff about copying the bullet from the source text.

I define these bullets as non-translatables and insert them with F4.

>I define these bullets as non-translatables and insert them with F4.

Hmm, that sounds like a good plan! Thanks!

I haven't used non-translatables to date - haven't ever felt the need. I'll have to look into them.

Even simpler: Recently, a keyboard shortcut has been added to copy the start of the segment. See the Edit > Target menu.
Edit > Target segment > Adjust start punctuation = Adjust the ending punctuation of the target segment to match that of the source segment.

> I define these bullets as non-translatables and insert them with F4.

Great. But how are tags between the NT and the rest of the fragment treated then? Are they inserted automatically?  And I wonder whether there is any inconvenience in adding them permanently to the NT list.

Edit > Target segment > Adjust start punctuation = Adjust the starting punctuation of the target segment to match that of the source segment.

I just corrected this obvious mistake in the reference documents, Igor should fix this in the help tips.

1 person likes this

There are also some tooltips missing for newer menu items. Novice users will be presumebly be happy if these could be added.

Login to post a comment