Start a new topic

Those nasty bullets ...

I'm translating a very nice manual and have to deal with bullets like:

The SchemaText4, tagged in Studio 2017 output gives:

CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant handles the tags like this:

Issues:

• Tags prevent term recognition (Die).
  • All segments get a number (4) that actually doesn't belong there.
How would you deal with this?

My approach: edit the SDLXLIFF in BBEdit, adding a space after the closing tag </g>:

Sadly, this doesn't take the 4 out of the segments (which isn't CafeTran Espresso 10 Croissant's fault):

But hey, term recognition is back on track.

My mantra for the last years:

Treat any tag as word separator. It helps more than it disturbs.

Yes, there is room for improvement. 

1 person likes this

>My mantra for the last years:

>Treat any tag as word separator. It helps more than it disturbs.

Sometimes it takes me a long time to understand things. But now that I understand and see the consequences and benefits, I totally agree with your mantra!

@Tre, do you have any other mantras that I've been ignoring the last years?

Sometimes it takes me a long time to understand things.

This is normal. There are many use cases for CT and you only know yours (and I know only mine). CT is primarily aimed and featured for native projects, where this case (any tag = word separator) might be very seldom, but in external projects this can be rather frequent.

It does treat tags as word boundaries when selecting or navigating. However, not for AA.

2 questions:

1. How does CT show those bullets when the file is directly imported?
  2. What do these tags in Studio stand for? There must be a kind of definition somewhere in the file, e.g. for ID=5119.

However, not for AA.

Nor for term recognition (or am I wrong?), with the corresponding implication for term check.

Indeed. Big problem.

>with the corresponding implication for term check

Never realised that, and I really hope that Igor can fix this.

> do you have any other mantras that I've been ignoring the last years?

Well, I have a whole bunch of it. seriously, Sometimes enough to think outside the box and try another tool. Simply go through this section and search for words such as "repeat", "again", "already" and so on. Maybe I will give any upcoming repetition the signal word "mantra" from now on.

Please do.

It is a great pleasure to have you here. You have humour and an analytical mind. Every developer should be happy with critical and constructive users like you. They should take your words to heart.

> It is a great pleasure to have you here. 

Same for you, of course.

TRE:

>My mantra for the last years:

>Treat any tag as word separator. It helps more than it disturbs.

It would be very good, if the frequently used placeholder for the new line would be treated as word separator too:

There is definitely room for improvement here.

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment