Start a new topic

Evolving ways of translating

I cannot speak for others but I notice that the way I'm translating (operating manuals) is evolving. More and more I enjoy the support that suggestions of MT systems can give me. I've written about that here (and even got some flames for it).

Each MT system has its (systematic) quirks. You learn to recognise them and even to value them (knowing that you're still smarter as a human translator).

Sometimes you don't recognise them at first side. A nasty feeling remains in your brain (at least in mine) while proceeding to the next segments.

E.g. here: the German word Werkschutz is translated by Dutch gewasbescherming.

WTF?

Al MT translations are generated via interlanguage English (known fact), so in this case; German Werk is Englisch plant. Schutz = protection. So far so good (I guess, I'm no native Brit). Then the craziness starts: English plant = sometimes Dutch 'plant' (= crop!), hence the gewasbescherming = plant protection / crop protection.

Long story short:

While I'm aware that this will double my costs for use of MT systems, I guess that I'd benefit from a feature to have the interlanguage English displayed, below every Dutch target suggestion.

What's your take on this? Would you benefit or even learn from this too?

On a side note: Some time ago I had to translate a manual for a plant that processed eggs (e.g. to pasta). It was an egg plant (the literal translation of the German word). Some MT systems translated it by ... aubergine. How funny, isn't it?

Login to post a comment