Start a new topic

Usefulness of live preview

Following a recent post at Proz.com, I wonder how other CTE users think about live preview for target translations.

I remember, when this feature was added to DV3 I used it for a while with a bunch of works, then I disabled it because I felt it didn't prove that helpful for my needs.(In my view, it could be more useful if one could type directly into the preview pane after cell-by-cell translation, then have each change automatically reflected into the translation grid.)

But, apparently it's an important feature for many translators. What do you think? 

Hi Mario, Although I suggested a way to add it, I personally don’t need it either. Just didn’t want to vent my opinion there. I’m very happy with using PDFs as source visualisation. My source documents are well-structured with styles etc., so that the translation will be well-structured too. Tiny layout corrrections are made after export, when necessary at all. However, I can see that other users have other needs. But, the feature is not on my wish list. As, by now, everyone knows, a regex tagger is #1 on my wish list. But apparently I’m a lonely nomad crying in the desert. ;)

Wordfast has a nice preview in a separate window, this might be handier than the external solution. Preview is always a question of good luck, especially with OCRed docs.

A RegEx-Tagger? Would be nice, but not my priority, and it must be easy to use (with some examples to start and a kind of preview when editing the rules, I assume there must be sth like this out there in the cold.

It also depends on the type of translation. Unfortunately, nowadays we are inundated by sdlxliff and some other proprietary CAT files which we cannot fully control ourselves on the target side as we cannot export them in the original format. But in case of "simple" doc files that require some translation creativity, it would be nice to see their live preview in action.

For example, I prefer to proof my translations directly in the exported files rather than in the translation grid. So, having the possibility to do it directly in a live target preview pane where I can merge or split sentences freely and see the results immediately reflected in the translation grid would be a nice feature which, if not too complicated from the coding point of view, I would like to see implemented into CTE one day.

Hopefully the two can be implemented so everyone can be happy, but if I had to choose between a power user only feature (such as a RegEx-Tagger) and a feature which, if well implemented, would truly ad to CafeTran’s appeal and could benefit anyone (such as the live target preview), I would definitely choose the latter.

In translation, context is everything. An In-context source/target preview (and anything that helps take the wider text context into consideration) is important in that respect, especially for visual types.

Case in point, I find myself often using the current source preview both for native and for external files.

The current “Preview current document” feature is quite good, but a live preview would be even more useful, in that adjustments can be made and seen in real time.

Translating texts segment by segment is both a boon and a curse for CAT tools, since it requires an additional effort from the linguist. An effort to build the complete virtual image of the text in their mind.

So, a live target preview would be very welcome, especially for Microsoft Office documents (Word, Excell, PowePoint) which are the most frequent native document types.

The implementation I suggest, is to keep this feature near the Preview current document action. The user could choose between Preview > No preview, Source preview and Target preview, for supported file types.

Jean

>if I had to choose between a power user only feature (such as a RegEx-Tagger) and a feature which, if well implemented, would truly ad to CafeTran’s appeal and could benefit anyone (such as the live target preview), I would definitely choose the latter. // For me it’s exactly the other way around. Partly also because CafeTran’s propagation of segments that only differ in Non-translatables isn’t what I need. So, yesterday, I had to dump a 10K Studio project with highly repetitive system messages to bilingual export. In MS-Word I had to hide 40% of the segments completely. In the remaining 60% I had to hide everything between [] and all combinations of letters and numbers. Then I translated the second column, which went fast. Today I’ll have to take quite some steps to Unholde everything, dump to a TM and use this to translate the original Studio project. A lot of steps. And I often have these software strings. So yeah, one vote for the tagger.
Unholde > unhide

Besides to software messages this problem also exists with regards to spare part lists, catalogues etc.

> So, a live target preview would be very welcome, especially for Microsoft Office documents (Word, Excell, PowePoint) which are the most frequent native document types.

Never forget that these previews in other tools are quite limited. I would also not underestimate the aspect that a live preview could perhaps act as replacement for the grid. IIRC, Fluency behaves similar, there is only a preview and the actual segments. Why not, this would keep the GUI cleaner.

> if I had to choose

Why not keep asking for both? In my apprenticeship I was  in the union and one of the representatives in the works council. One thing I learned there is always to ask for more things than initially planned to get at least a part of it. Yeah, this can be nagging. 

I've been asking the longest time ;).

I've finished the first translation run (the one of the bilingual export of the Studio project, with the invariants hidden) and I was thinking: perhaps it would already be a big step for mankind (esp. the part that's using CafeTran Espresso 2019) if one could simply dump the translated project to a TM with all hidden characters unhidden.

This TM could then be used to translate the real Studio project.

Or am I making a thinking fehler?

> Never forget that these previews in other tools are quite limited.

I prefer to see a feature well implemented that half-baked or semi-working. If it can't be done well, better not do it at all. I acknowledge live previews can be challenging. That's why I said "well implemented".

> Why not keep asking for both?

As I said, "hopefully the two can be implemented so everyone can be happy", so yes, why not?

I just wanted to illustrate my opinion that CafeTran should focus more to making the tool more accessible and less on power-user features. Many suggestion focus on the latter.

I've made my point, you've made yours. Will not be commenting further.

>I just wanted to illustrate my opinion that CafeTran should focus more to making the tool more accessible and less on power-user features. Many suggestion focus on the latter.

Yep. And everyone is entitled to ask for his or her personal favourite :). Subtitling files, live preview or apostrophe handling.

CafeTran Espresso 2019 is not for the mass. It's for the elite.

> CafeTran Espresso 2019 is not for the mass. It's for the elite.

Made my day (without further comment, as it does not need to be true).

Hi

I read all the messages about (live) preview and they are older than a year. 

I will have to translate many many Powerpoints during the next months and a live preview would come in handy as I will have to check on the spot the length of my translations vs French source. So has this been implemented in the meantime of will I have to use Wordfast Pro or MemoQ?

Login to post a comment