Start a new topic

REQ: Distinguish upper/lower case terms (or not) in ONE glossary

I know I can create different glossaries that distinguish upper/lower case terms. Not really the best way.

But wouldn't it be much more convenient to have them in one glossary? Especially in technical manuals it can be quite helpful to distinguish TB fragments at the beginning or in the middle of sentences (for German syntax, at least).

Two writable glossaries (well, virtually for any purpose you need) are cumbersome to maintain (where to add a new term etc.).

I'm not sure whether I understand your problem here. What would be against storing 'schrauben' and 'Schrauben' in the same glossary (with different meanings for both entries)?

I only want to have shown e.g. the meaning for schrauben, but not for Schrauben (= more precision of terms shown). Perhaps I am completely missing the point this morning. Is this already possible?

It's a little complicated, I'm afraid. There is this setting Match Case that you can select. However, I think that it's overruled by Look up word stems (this has to be verified!), which I personally like very much: if the right case isn't found, the 'nearest case' will be suggested.

Does that more or less answer your question or am I standing on the hose today?

Ah, I assumed I did oversee some settings. Let me explain:

I want CT to ignore lower/upper case for most of the terms.

Screws = screws

street = Street etc.

But I want to have certain entries (where I have to set a marker before) where case matters

Ensure that ≠ ensure that

Although this ≠ although this 

Inspect ≠ inspect

This contract is ≠ this contract is

The parties agree ≠ the parties agree

(I am sure there are even better examples)

These are the typical beginnings of sentences in my daily work.

More precise term recognition = less space on the GUI wasted.

We already have ? and | (and ! if I remember correctly) to mark special situations.

A new character to indicate the start of a segment (e.g. ^) would be very useful.

(Same goes for the end of a segment, e.g. $. Here, however, the possibility of trailing full stops and spaces should be taken into account.)

So:

^Ensure that = Stellen Sie sicher, dass

ensure that=sicherstellen, dass

And:

$open = geöffnet

open = öffnen

The valve is open. > Das Ventil ist geöffnet.

BTW: Generally spoken, it's not a good idea to embed connectives (like 'that') into the term pair ...

CafeTran Espresso 2019 has always had this tiny issue with one word that appears both in lowercase and uppercase, where the translation for the first occurrence is used for the following occurrences, no matter the case. The use of a segment start marker could solve this situation :).

> The use of a segment start marker could solve this situation

Yes, this might fix a number of cases.

However, there are also syntactical units with uppercase words inside a segment (e.g. after a semicolon, a colon, a full stop (that has not been recognized as segment separator) where the solution above might be welcome.

Login to post a comment