Start a new topic

Some little enhancements

With the recent updates, my workflow has improved a lot, now I can say CT is a tool I can use in my daily job, it's just amazing :)

However, I have some little tricks that could highly improve CT,  will explain them:

1. QA.

- The QA is a bit confusing, If we run more than one check at a time, the type of error is hard to identify as all of them appears in purple, so it's mandatory to read the type of error we're trying to fix. I think it could be better if we could have different colors to identify the error instead of having to read it.

- QA Templates. When using "Check all", we could have a little button to load our own QA profile, so that, we don't need to tick/untick the checking we want to apply each time.

- QA dismiss. When running the QA, we use to get some false positives. If we had the possibility to dismiss those, we could re-run the QA for being sure we don't miss anything, but avoiding having all the false positives displayed again.

- When running the "Term consistency" check, sometimes, with long segments, it's hard to identify the missing term so, I think we could have them (the missing ones) underlined in red or some other very identifiable color to quick find the term that need attention.

2. Tooltips in terms.

When working with the keyboard, if we want to know/enter a term, we just need to type the first character and then SHIFT to get the pop-up menu where we can pick one if there's more than one term. I think it could be very useful if we could do the same but pointing with the cursor the term in source segment, i.e. if there's a term in our term base (which will be underlined in the source segment editor), if we put the cursor on this term, the same pop-up menu would appear after a small delay, like 2 seconds or so. This is very handy when using the mouse (I tend to do it a lot in CT because I still find a bit hard to differentiate terms from termbases at a glance in the Matchboard).

3. Mark for repetitions.

I know this is something very very memoQ style, but it's SO useful! The behavior is the same: when we enter into a segment that is the first of some repetitions, we could have some mark/sing indicating this segment would be autopropagated all over the document/project, this way we can just on/off the autopropagation of that specific segment if it's a segment were (for example, in Spanish) have different genders.

To better illustrate this, when translating patents from English into Spanish, we usually get segments with just the word "wherein", this "wherein" is translated into Spanish depending on the Spanish gender of the subject of the sentence: The claim 1, wherein...= La reivindicación 1, en la que,...  (because claim is female in Spanish), BUT The system of the invention, wherein = El sistema de la invención, en el que (because system is male in Spanish). Having this small enhancement, we can easily choose not to propagate this segment as it's almost sure we need to pay special attention to this.

4. Progress bar.

As now, one can use the "Checked" status meaning "Translated", why not to have the choice of showing the progress bar that appears when we have "Automatic update of project statistics" ON but for "Checked" instead of "Translated"? In my workflow, this Progress bar shows "edited" instead of "translated" (aka Checked), so if I have a document that is pretranslated (for example, from MT for postedition) but not translated, this bar will show as 100%, but it's not actually translated. The same occurs with the Progress bar showing our position in the document, in my case it's useless because I know exactly where I am (lol) and it's a useless having this space occupied by something I just don't need.

And this is all by now, folks! :P

1 person likes this idea

About the 3rd point see hereThis thing I showed there (to avoid propagation) would also be nice.

1 person likes this

tre, indeed! This is actually what I meant :) I didn't realize SmartCat does the same thing.

>I think it could be better if we could have different colors to identify the error instead of having to read it.

Yes, I've requested that too.

>QA Templates. When using "Check all", we could have a little button to load our own QA profile, so that, we don't need to tick/untick the checking we want to apply each time.

Nice idea, could be integrated in the Project templates too/instead.

1 person likes this

I didn't know about Project Templates, I work exclusively with .sdlxliff files, so I just drag&drop and everything works as expected (now I can say CT works perfectly with Trados files, some minor enhancements could be done, like real merging/splitting instead of the virtual one and attributes, but not a big deal), but of course, the "Importing QA template" could be placed wherever it suits better :).

Actually, the QA feature in CT has a huge marge to improve, I still don't understand what "Different translation" means (don't get if it's an inconsistency kind same source = different target OR different translation from the one stored in TM) and small things like these (e.g., it's missing grammar check, measures check... and those are somehow basic tasks a translator needs), but I'm now working with my QA software (Verifika does the trick for me, its SO precise, tuneable and beautiful!) and I'm very surprised with the results, I still find some (specially term related and translation inconsistencies "same source = different target") but I think it's a question of fine tune CT and its Memory/Glossary preferences.

> I work exclusively with .sdlxliff files

It is important to emphasize that there are always lots of application cases.

Concerning grammar check, I recommend CheckMate that can be connected with LanguageTool. The outcome may vary depending on LanguageTool quality in your target language. Maybe one day there will be a kind of interface with CT … 

1 person likes this
Thanks tre! I used to use the whole Okapi tools in the past when collaborating with OmegaT, but now, as I must finish the projects in Trados (client QA profiles mandatory) I use the Grammar plugging for Trados and if I'd need to translate native projects in CT I'd do it exporting to word. I don't trust Hunspell and LT for my pairs (even if Spanish is the second most spoken language in number of natives :S).
Anyway, I don't really see the problem working with other tools, the most spread are Trados and memoQ and almost all the particularities concern both of them. I wouldn't spend time trying to make other tools fit, such as Mensource/Déjà vu and so on... For Trados and memoQ there is a real interest, they're the most used ones so CT can take profit of it (from a commercial point of view) and we (the users) too. But I think it's other companies business trying to make their files as standard as possible to fit in other tools, at least with a standardisation in mind. I hate not being able to work with my Mac just because the company I work for uses Trados, or even Linux when it comes to MS Office files that are highly formatted (or even when translating in OmegaT under Linux, how the hell could we clean tags if we don't have a MS Word where to install TransTools...).
> Maybe one day there will be a kind of interface with CT … I've proposed the inclusion of LT in CT some time ago, even twice haha. I don't think LT would be hard to implement as lots of other tools (not even those made for translators) already have it.

On GNU/Linux, MS Office can be installed and run through Wine (other programs as well).

There are GUI programs that make its use quite easy. For professional use, I recommended CrossOver (PlayOnLinux being a free alternative).

I can also use TransTools and CodeZapper with MS Word. For tags, often CafeTran's MS Word OCR filter is enough.

More info here: https://translateonlinux.org/

1 person likes this
Yeah I know, what I meant is that it's not for regular users, Wine and derivates are a pain!
Jean I used to use a Chinese office suite (don't remember the name now) that imitates both the UI and the format handling very well, no plug-in support though.

Yes, probably WPS Office, it's nice too (as well as SoftMaker Office).

I use LibreOffice for most jobs not related to deliverable files, as I have a proofreading program that interfaces with it. It now offers a hybrid optional "ribbon" view as well.

1 person likes this
Yes! My boyfriend uses it all the time at work, I don't think it's a bad software but compatibility prevents me to use it, that's how I feel with Hunspell and LT, as I've been a long term Linux user and I know its weaknesses. What proofreading app do you use? I've been looking for a good software for review/proofread (in monolingüal native language, not bilingüal way) but I found nothing but Language tool (for Spanish).
Jean, by the way, I think you use Trados as well, and Linux, how do you do it? Virtualizing?
Login to post a comment