Start a new topic

Return importing and track changes

Hello!

I've noticed that the new Forerunner 2019 version is still without return importing of bilingual files (for non-native projects). I know I must have asked before, but, is it technically possibile to implement this? It would be great for interoperability in my case. Second question: is it now possibile (or will it be one day) to track changes? I mean to send a xlf file to a revisor and then import and see what has been changed? I don't know whether this is possible in other tools, but it would be a great idea :-)

Thanks,

Elisabetta

Hello Elisabetta,

1. importing bilingual documents for non-native projects

This is obviously a question for Igor.

2. Reviewing changes made by revisor in native projects

There is still no track changes as you mean it.

A suggestion would be to use the online tool TQAuditor to generate a quick and handy comparison report, that you can download as an Excel file.

https://cloud.tqauditor.com/quick/upload

CafeTran Espresso XLIFF files are supported. This works for external projects as well.

Now, if you export a bilingual document from the reviewed XLIFF and import it to the original native project (provided the reviewed XLIFF came from that project), all changes will be imported, and segments with changes will have the old translated version displayed as an alternative translation (yellow background, I think), although the changes will not be highlighted.

Showing/highlighting the diffs would certainly be useful.

Thanks Jean, that's really a great workaround with the alternative translations! I've just tried it and it works. Do I have to delete (if yes, how) the old translations (AT, in yellow)? I mean, will they be stored in the TM, too or can I ignore them?

You can leave them be, they are there just for reference and will not be stored in the TM. 

Of course, if you import the reviewed translation, you may wish to update the TM as well. If your project TM is set to "Keep newer duplicates" (check the TM options), then you can do so via Memory > Import > Segments from project. The updated segments will then replace the old ones in your TM as well.

You can always remove the alternative translations via Task > Remove alternative translations, if you want to, but you don't have to, at least for native projects.

Cheers!

Great, thanks!

I hope Igor is thinking about importing of non-native bilingual files, though I'm afraid that it's not that easy to do, as it hasn't been implemented yet.

Cheers,

Elisabetta

Hello Elisabetta,

Also, please take a look at the Version status in the target segment toolbar. After selecting it, CafeTran recognizes the change in the current segment and creates the Alternative translation as the previous version of the segment automatically.

As for the import of the Word bilingual files into non-CafeTran projects, it is difficult to implement due the vast number of possible and hard to predict (unknown) tag conflicts during the return import. This was easy to achieve for CafeTran native project as CTE produces as few tags as possible and merges them.  Try the exchange between tools via TMX translation memories instead.

Thanks Igor, that's interesting. About tags, as you mention them, I understand that conflicts are possible, also while working on non-native projects. For example: I place the tags (tag 1, tag 2 and tag 3) exactly in the same position and with the same number as in the source, but when I do the QA at the end CT detects incorrect tags (e.g. only tag 1 and tag 2 are present and in another position, but I'm sure I've placed them correctly). This happens very often. Is this a problem due the difference with non-native tags?

To analyze the cause of the tag mismatch, you might deactivate the hiding of boundary tags option in the Action > Tags menu. Furthermore, if you add comments to sdlxliff segments, new tags (comment holders) are created in the target segment, which resulted in the QA reporting a tag mismatch in some previous versions of CafeTran. 

Thanks, I didn't know about boundary tags. I'll try. No, I've never added comments or changed anything to "produce" more tags :-)

Login to post a comment