Start a new topic

Replicating CT settings

If I needed to install CT on a different PC, what files should I copy from the current installation in order to replicate it excactly as it is now?

That’s a complex procedure, I’m afraid. You write ‘if’, so I’m wondering: is it really worthwhile to invest time in describing this procedure in length?

Well, a day may come that I need to urgently install CT in another PC (following a HDD crash or for other reasons). Considering the time that I spent (and still spending) to adjust CT to my needs (which probably I wouldn't be able to replicate easily because I still don't know how I got there), a sort of "Settings" file that snaps everything together in few seconds would certainly be useful.

If I am not wrong, CT already had this feature in the past, right? 

But let me ask you: do you already have a plan for a contincency like this? Perhaps CT already installed in another computer? 

>If I am not wrong, CT already had this feature in the past, right? 

Indeed

>But let me ask you: do you already have a plan for a contincency like this? Perhaps CT already installed in another computer? 

With screenshots of the tabs in the Preferences. But you'd also have to make screenshots (or a movie) of all menu settings!

Typically this procedure is a candidate for the Reference files. Perhaps Jean will add it. Or we'll have to wait until it has been opened for external contributions.

With screenshots of the tabs in the Preferences. But you'd also have to make screenshots (or a movie) of all menu settings!

I was thinking about taking screenshots, but I hoped there was another more modern way. Then, in case of need to move CT to another PC there is also the license question, that is whether it's possible to get the new license in a reasonably short time.

I am thinking: What about providing CT (along with the official license) with a short-term, provisional license just to cope with emergency situations? Between Poland and Japan there is a seven-hour time difference and when I start working in the morning Igor is still sleeping (maybe). Or, he may be on holiday.

Thank you anyway for your help.

>I was thinking about taking screenshots, but I hoped there was another more modern way. Then, in case of need to move CT to another PC there is also the license question, that is whether it's possible to get the new license in a reasonably short time.

May I suggest that you consider to upgrade your Proz account to Plus? This includes a very interesting floating license for CafeTran Espresso 2018.

Most settings (e.g. colors and layout) can be transferred via the Project Template. Save your current settings to the project template file in one computer, and then access the same template file in another computer via the Dashboard. 

Igor: Most settings (e.g. colors and layout) can be transferred via the Project Template.

This part is the easiest one, but most of the work would be setting the Preference menus again. Probably the screenshot route is still the most practical. Yet...

alwayslockyourbikeMay I suggest that you consider to upgrade your Proz account to Plus? This includes a very interesting floating license for CafeTran Espresso 2018.

Ehm, I am not sure that I am going to renew my Proz.com professional account next year. 

With the Save/Restore settings gone (probably for good reason, as I guess it had a tendency of breaking or messing things up), the steps to replicate or back up the settings are OS dependent.

ON GNU/Linux, it is mostly a matter of restoring the cafetran folder and the ~/.java hidden folder.

How to achieve this in each OS is a good candidate for TheCafeTranFiles. I don't know how to do it on Mac or Windows, if someone has the steps ready, feel free to drop me a line. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to try it myself, when I have the time.

Jean

what a pity that you decided 2 years ago that this wasn't essential. because I just updated to Catalina and now I would really like to know....

Login to post a comment