Start a new topic

REQ: Transfer source segment – replacing, not inserting

The behaviour of "Transfer source segment" is not consistent with the other "Transfer" commands. I'd expect to have the whole segment replaced (e.g. as for matches and MT). To insert it without replacement, you might mark the whole source segment or part of it. IMHO the inserting of the whole segment into an already existing target segment (without replacing it as whole) is a quite unusual case. 

Any chance to have this somehow changed?

I agree. If the text is not selected, it might be preferable to replace the whole segment during the transfer. The change will be present in the coming build.

Great, thanks.

The action does transfer source text to target segment if you go to an empty segment and do not select text in the source text editor.

It also serve to insert the selected source text to the selected point in target. If some target text is selected, then it replaces the target text with the source text.

I really like the fact one menu/shortcuts does these two crucial actions.

The help tip could be updated for clarity (see below), or the menu item could be renamed "Insert source to target", but please DO NOT change the item behavior!

Transfer the (selected) source segment editor contents directly to the target segment editor.

I really like the fact one menu/shortcuts does these two crucial actions.

I agree. But happily this won't change after the modification Igor announced.

> It also serve to insert the selected source text to the selected point in target.

The full replacement will work only if there is no selection by the user.

OK, my misunderstanding, agreed then!

Login to post a comment