Start a new topic

REQ: More glossary edit options

This is a typical problem for working with Spanish and French. You have term A and know there are several forms for it. Here: amarillo

You would like to add the forms amarilla, amarillas and amarillos in separate entries (not with semicolons, as this is better for compatibility).

When using the Add-term-Window (I usually don't), you have a button "New term", but that only empties the fields (you would need to recopy or to retype all entries).

Wouldn't it make sense

• to simply copy both source and target when hitting "New term" and mark the copy (with a asterisc or maybe with the suffix (Copy) on the target term side?
  • to offer a similar feature when clicking on an entry in the glossary (the window above), maybe a kind of duplicate button?

>You would like to add the forms amarilla, amarillas and amarillos in separate entries (not with semicolons, as this is better for compatibility).

Note that there are smart scripts to split glossaries with source-side alternatives to one-source=one or more targets!

>When using the Add-term-Window (I usually don't), you have a button "New term", but that only empties the fields (you would need to recopy or to retype all entries).

Not when you keep CTRL pressed while clicking on New term button in the New term dialogue box.

> there are smart scripts to split glossaries with source-side alternatives to one-source=one or more targets

Indeed I used such a script for adding these variants with „many sources to.one“ terms. But as I wrote above, now I prefer one-to-one terms.

> Not when you keep CTRL pressed while clicking on New term button in the New term dialogue box.

Nice to know that. But bad for people that don't use the New term window. And it is not present on the Edit term window

The solution would be

• offer two different shortcuts for New term with and without New term window
  • offer the same function Hans mentioned above (keep CTRL pressed while clicking on New term button) for the Edit term window

>Indeed I used such a script for adding these variants with „many sources to.one“ terms. But as I wrote above, now I prefer one-to-one terms.

Yes. You can use a python script (somewhere in the old wiki) for that or do it via Excel.

We are talking about:

amarilla;amarillas;amarillos\tgelb;geel

to:

amarilla\tgelb

amarilla\tgeel

amarillas\tgelbe

amarillas\tgele

amarillos\tgelbe

amarillos\tgele

here?

> Not when you keep CTRL pressed while clicking on New term button in the New term dialogue box.

>Nice to know that. But bad for people that don't use the New term window. And it is not present on the Edit term window

I've requested it several times already.

> We are talking about ……………

Yes, but at the moment of adding the term, not when doing maintenance on the glossary in the text editor. Or do you have some more script magic aboard?

You have amarillo and gelb marked and colorín colorado get four glossary entries. I used to use a KBM with the New term window, where the source term was copied always with a different ending. But this does not work for one-to-one, also because the terms are being unmarked after the short cut.

But in general, only for CT, it would be sufficient to have the "keep CTRL pressed" magic in the Edit term window.

"Term editor" window, as the name suggests, edits the existing term, while the "New term" window serves for the addition of new terms. The separation of the functionalities is plain and simple. Please use the New term window (with the CTRL pressed option if needed) to add any new terms to your glossaries. Or use the grouping of synonyms in one term entry to achieve what you wish via the "Term editor". 

> plain and simple

Missing features are always plain and simple, as they don't exist (yet).

IMHO it is absolutely not digressive to have a "New term" button (perhaps even without need of the Ctrl-button as described above, as a kind of "Add term variant" button) on the "Edit term" window, as editing always can mean adding (or deleting, and we have a Delete button …).   

And what about the users that don't need or want to have the New term window displayed, but in some cases they'd need it?

1 person likes this

>But in general, only for CT, it would be sufficient to have the "keep CTRL pressed" magic in the Edit term window.

It would also be very useful if it would be possible to add multiple term pairs at once in the New term dialogue box and treat each line pair as a term pair:

This would allow very fast input of term nests (related term pairs).

1 person likes this
Login to post a comment