Start a new topic

Question on fuzzy matches in glossaries

My question is as follows:

I have a German-English glossary containing some adjective-noun terms. Becaue adjectives are inflected in German, fuzzy matching is essential for correct recognition of these terms.

If my glossary contains 'warenbegleitenden Datenlieferungen', then all forms appear to be found, but if it contains 'warenbegleitende Datenlieferungen' they are not.

(For clarity, I'm using actual flat-text file glossaries, not TMs.)

Why is this and can something be done about it?

You can try turning on the "Prefix matching" option for glossaries in Edit > Preferences > Glossary tab.  With the "Minimal prefix length" adjustment, you can control the fuzziness of glossary terms. The prefix length adjustment can be done in Edit > Preferences > Glossary tab starting from CafeTran Espresso 2018 Akua update 12. The prefix matching can capture more complex inflections than your German example, but don't set the minimal prefix length too low as some false positives might appear.

Hello Igor,

Does this mean that the Glossaries do not use the "Prefix matching (%)" and the "Minimal prefix length" found in TM options?

In the past, the "Prefix length" option was shared with TM fragments. Is that still true?

Jean

> Does this mean that the Glossaries do not use the "Prefix matching (%)" and the "Minimal prefix length" found in TM options?

Yes, glossaries use only the "Minimal prefix length" option whose value is shared with the "Minimal prefix length" TM option.

Login to post a comment