Start a new topic

Postponed target terms

I'm looking for ideas to handle postponed components of target terms.

E.g. the German 'Beachten Sie zur Montage' is translated with 'Neem voor de montage in acht' where the bold part is the postponed component. I'd like to be able to insert it at a later position in the target segment.

Your ideas are welcome.

I assume you mean in an automated fashion, right, rather than just selecting it and using Transpose selection to the right to move it to the right?

Michael

Thanks for pointing out that my posting was clear enough. No, I mean:

• Auto-assembling will only insert the first part, the remaining part will be put on some kind of spike.
  • I place the text cursor at the intended insertion point for the remaining part (usually at the end of the segment) and I press F4 (or another key) to have the remaining part inserted.

Aha, hmm.

One question. Which is less/more work:

1. Place the text cursor at the intended insertion point for the remaining part (usually at the end of the segment) and I press F4 (or another key) to have the remaining part inserted.

2. Select ‘spiked bit’, and press KBS for Transpose selection to the right until it falls into the right place? 

I'm sure it could somehow be done with a very complicated macro, or Igor could implement something, but would it be worth the trouble?

Michael

>would it be worth the trouble?

For me, it would. For others, maybe not.

I'm thinking of this solution:

• In the glossary entry, I surround the postponed part with a character (tag): Neem #in acht#
  • I create a macro that cuts the surrounded part and inserts it at the cursor postion or at the end of a segment (have to think about, how, perhaps 1x F4 at cursor position, 2x F4 at segment end, before the trailing punctuation mark).
The result: in a 20-word target segment that has been auto-assembled very well, except for the position of the postponed part, I press F4 (once or twice) and the postponed part is moved to its correct position (e.g. at the end of the segment).

For me (my workflow) this would be another big step for hanskind.

You might solve it via the segment pattern as follows:

1. Add to the TM or glossary the following pattern:

{1} Sie zur Montage.

Neem voor de montage {1}.

2. Add the entry to your glossary or TM:

Beachten=in acht

Then, CafeTran will translate it as you wish.

Note: if you add a pattern via an external tool, precede the pattern with the ? character. You don't need to do it if you add it with CafeTran.

Login to post a comment