Start a new topic

Hiding regex symbols

In my glossaries I make extensive use of regular expressions, being this one just an example:

|abet(e|i) giappones(e|i)     |japanese fi(r|rs)

which is not easy to the eyes. Now, would it be possible in a new CTE version or build to hide such symbols so that it may only appear:

abet| giappones|     japanese fir|

or something similar?

abete giapponese;abeti giapponesi \t japanese fir;japanese firs

abete giapponese;abeti giapponesi \t japanese fir;japanese firs

This is just an example; in certain cases I need four variations to cover gender and plural. Therefore, regex is the shortest way, besides being the most elegant. 

Yes, I’m aware of that ;). However, writing the full forms will allow later splitting, when necessary. E.g. when using the glossary in another tool or reorganising it for use in CafeTran via a new algorithm. I can see that you want to keep everything together, but it also has advantages to create two different term pairs: one for singular and one for plural. You don’t use AA now, but who knows what the future will bring.

alwayslockyourbikeYou don’t use AA now, but who knows what the future will bring.

What you said certainly makes sense, but I already swore (but only to myself) that CTE will be my last CAT tool, which I want to serve me well for another 6-7 years. Then, kaput!

>writing the full forms will allow later splitting

Like with Ron's Editor:

Oh, that's interesting! I have been spending many days reviewing my main glossary to delete unnecessary entries and using regex whenever possible... But I like mandala-like works, so I may decide to restart from zero again (the first time was when I created the glossary after a massive TDB conversion). CTE is giving me much work, but I am convinced all these efforts are going to pay off.  

Login to post a comment