Start a new topic

Project file and source file location

I am struggling with the way CT manages project and source files. 

Until an hour ago I had been using Projects separately from Translation folders, sort of like this:

D://Other CAT/Projects/Client A/...  (for projects)

and

D://Translations/Client A/Job 1/...(for translation files)

But, as far as I could see, when I create a new project in CT it puts the source file in the D://Cafetran/Projects/Client A/ folder, for instance a Word file.

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Thanks

Mario: Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Yes. The source file will end up in the project file after importing. CafeTran copies it, and adds the abbreviation of the source language to it. The translated file will have the same name, but with the abbreviation of the target language:

You can delete the original SL file.

I suggest you use something like DropBox (NDAs?) to store your CT projects. So if your job is in your downloads folder (Im not familiar with Windows), and you import it in CT, a copy will be saved in your DropBox Project folder, and you can delete the file in your Downloads Folder. You may want to wait till you have finished the project, just to be sure.

H.

Thank you W. I don't understand why CT has to copy source files in Project folders if it can be deleted after translating (is it perhaps strictly necessary for the whole processing?). So, we end up with two SL files, one in its proper translation folder and one in the Project folder. 

I am not using DropBox, but I will see whether it might be useful for this very purpose.

Having to adjust to a complete different way of handling projects and source files is not that easy (of course, it can't be helped that I keep comparing CT to DV).

Mario: of course, it can't be helped that I keep comparing CT to DV

Same here. I was a fanatical DV user till 2010. I only switched to CafeTran because of the Mac. And I don't regret it.

So, we end up with two SL files, one in its proper translation folder and one in the Project folder. 

Yes, but I can't possibly see the problem.

H.

No, it's not a problem, just a little bit of additional work and too many useless bits around. But, the world has much bigger problems that this.

> So, we end up with two SL files, one in its proper translation folder and one in the Project folder. 

The users sometimes make changes to the source language document in the middle of the translation. They can do it in the translation folder, and then replace the previous version with the new one via Project > Replace document... . However, they should not change anything with the copied version of the source language document in the Project folder. It can't be modified before the final export.  

IK: ...then replace the previous version with the new one

Are you sure you're not making this up for the occasion? As far as I can remember, CafeTran always created a copy of the source file for the Project, wheres replace the previous version with the new one is pretty recent.

H.

> CafeTran always created a copy of the source file for the Project

That's true. I added the additional information about editing the source language document in his translation folder only so that the user would not change it in the Project folder  by accident. 

One more question: Can you also create a multilingual "glossary" in a TM for Fragments? I think you can, because years ago, I found out by accident that those DGT files come in multiple languages, and when you want to open them, CafeTran automagically picks the right SL and TL.

It's largely irrelevant, because I'm going to stick to my solution with the SQL database. That way, I can search for a word/term in the third language from within CT, and I think Mario can't do that. Can you, Mario, search for a Japanese term from within an English>Italian project?

H.

> CafeTran automagically picks the right SL and TL.

Yes, CT can do it if your TM for fragments is the multi-language one.

Igor: I added the additional information about editing the source language document in his translation folder only so that the user would not change it in the Project folder  by accident.

If my understanding is correct, we can instruct CT to forbid any modification to the source segment? Frankly, it never happened to me to wanting to modify the SL file, although I recognize that this possibility might be useful. But, even if we do any modification to the source file, we actually modify the .xlf file, don't we? In any case, if the SL file in the Project folder is not strictly necessary for the translation process, wouldn't it be possible just to add the option to disable CT from copying the SL file into the Project folder?

Mario: ...the SL file in the Project folder is not strictly necessary for the translation process

I don't think it's necessary for the translation process as such, but I take it it's necessary for the creation of the translated document.

...add the option to disable CT from copying the SL file into the Project folder

I suppose CT will have to know where the SL file is located for the output of the TL file. I'm sure Igor can change the location of the Project File, but it may not be easy, and not worth the trouble?

It'd be far easier if you'd write a macro that deletes the original SL file (the one without the SL identifier) immediately after import.

H.

Woorde: I don't think it's necessary for the translation process as such, but I take it it's necessary for the creation of the translated document.

Oh, I thought that the .xlf file was responsible for that.

Woorden: ...I suppose CT will have to know where the SL file is located for the output of the TL file.

Isn't this specified when we import the file in the project import window? Anyway, it's not a big deal. Every now and then I can delete those files manually. Indeed, CT involves quite a big change of mentality...

Mario: Indeed, CT involves quite a big change of mentality...

Well, I think CafeTran is the ideal replacement for people with the DV mentality. After 13 years of DejaVu, I decided to go Mac only. [moderated] Windows! I tried several CAT tools, but I'm sure I went for CafeTran because it resembled DejaVu the most, or I could make it resemble DV most. And because I wrote a blog on my experiences with CafeTran, I like to think I contributed to CafeTran becoming even more like DV. But I admit that, unlike me, Igor is very stubborn. However, I still like the resulting tool. And I think CafeTran was and is just as good as DV, if not better.

H.

Mario: I thought that the .xlf file was responsible for that.

I think the .xlf file only contains the text part of the SL file, which sounds quite reasonable for translation purposes. Say you have a complex .docx file, with pictures and things. I suppose CafeTran only uses the .xml part of the documents for the .xlf. To create the translated document, CafeTran will need the other files stored in the SL .docx. I think.

H.

Login to post a comment