Start a new topic

REQ: "Import MS Excel glossary" with feedback ...

... when it fails.

Nowadays some OSs do not display the ending, but some clients keep sending you lxls files instead of xlsx.

In the same manner as when trying to import a doc file (and not a docx file), could it pls be possible to return a hint when you try to import a xls glossary instead of a xlsx glossary?

This would be nice.

And yes, some options such as "skip first line" or "replace existing entries" (for updated glossaries and re-importing in any case) would be nice, too.

Torsten: ...return a hint when you try to import a xls glossary instead of a xlsx glossary?

I think that's the task of the operating system. On a Mac, you can make the extension visible if you want to, while the extension is also visible if you use icons.

H.

> This would be nice.

Yes, some kind of the info message when the user tries to load the old MS Office formats will do no harm. Thanks!

IK: ...old MS Office formats

MS only? Very recently, we had a question about a new Pages extension/format.

H.

Yes, for now the info message concerns the old MS Office files. As far as I remember Pages keeps the same file extension. It changed the file format to the binary one. 

IK: ...for now the info message concerns the old MS Office files

I think it's the usual Torsten BS. It's pretty straightforward: CafeTran cannot import files it cannot import.

In fact, whereas even a blind translator (they exist, I used to know one, believe it or not) can "see" the difference between doc and docx, a warning for an extension like pages is far more useful.

H.

Login to post a comment