Start a new topic

REQ: Ability to suppress auto-progagation of joined segments in SDL projects

Hello, Let me explain about this request in detail. Suppose there are two segments that need to be joined: Seg #1 配当金の Seg #2 承認 The translation for the joined segment "配当金の承認" might be: Approve the dividend. In this case, the translation needs to be split back into two (as per the CT specification), and it would be like this: Seg #1 Approve Seg #2 the dividend. The resulting source/target pairs are: Seg #1 配当金の = Approve Seg #2 承認 = the dividend. This is the right way of processing as far as these particular segments are concerned, but these word pairs are incorrect themselves: the translation for "配当金" is "dividend", and the translation for "承認" is "approve." Please note the word order difference. So, if these segments are auto-propagated, the incorrect translations would be propagated. The safest way is to DISABLE auto-propagation, but, auto-propagation is a useful feature. I want both. So, is it possible to implement the ability to suppress auto-propagation from these segments only (segments that have been joined and automatically split back, hence incomplete in nature) while keeping all the auto-propagation options effective for all other segments? Cheers, Masato

*** Paragraphed! ***

Hello,

Let me explain about this request in detail.

Suppose there are two segments that need to be joined:

Seg #1 配当金の
Seg #2 承認

The translation for the joined segment "配当金の承認" might be:

Approve the dividend.

In this case, the translation needs to be split back into two (as per the CT specification), and it would be like this:

Seg #1   Approve
Seg #2   the dividend.

The resulting source/target pairs are:

Seg #1   配当金の = Approve
Seg #2   承認 = the dividend.

This is the right way of processing as far as these particular segments are concerned, but these word pairs are incorrect themselves: the translation for "配当金" is "dividend", and the translation for "承認" is "approve." Please note the word order difference.

So, if these segments are auto-propagated, it means the incorrect translations are propagated. The safest way is to DISABLE auto-propagation, but, auto-propagation is a useful feature. I want both.

So, is it possible to implement the ability to suppress auto-propagation from these segments only (segments that have been joined and automatically split back, hence incomplete in nature) while keeping all the auto-propagation options effective for all other segments?

Cheers,
Masato

An idea.

How about adding "do not auto-propagate" in the tool bar, and duplicating this status in the joined segment?

Once joined, the translation of the joined segment is correct right? Then before joining, just right-click at the source segment editor and uncheck the Auto-propagation for the segments to be joined.

> Once joined, the translation of the joined segment is correct right?

Yes.

> Then before joining, just right-click at the source segment editor and uncheck the Auto-propagation for the segments to be joined.

I thought this feature was related to the receiving side (the checked segment would not be affected by auto-propagation). But, now I understand this is related to both the sending and receiving sides.

By the way, is it necessary to do the unchecking before joining and in each of the segments to be joined?

> is it necessary to do the unchecking before joining and in each of the segments to be joined?

Yes, it is. I will test the possibility to carry the auto-propagation status to the following segment to be joined. 

Login to post a comment