Start a new topic

Matchboard, again

Just one note about the Matchboard display (assuming that it will be reowkred soon due to the many requests):

• Why are there different widths? Even if saying that MT results are longer by nature (they cover the whole sentence), so is the assembled result. Not much against a different width, but then for MT and assembled results (and any fuzzy match, of course).
  • Again the colors, all dull, quite similar and not customizable (even if not d'accord, there is the possibilty to have an optional color mode with signal colors (or a kind of). IMHO productivity gets increased by better distinguishable colours.
  • Again the "Fuzzy bug", where hits are shown as fuzzy (here at the bottom).

Retina makes the screenshots huge, I should scale them before posting them.

With the newest update, some hassel remains:

The MT bars are now wider than the rest (why?), and now they have four letters instead of two (there was noc confusion with the MT engines, they can easily be differentiated even with two letters.

Context Match is always the best translation while fuzzy matches may not be so. Therefore, both auto-assembling and fuzzy matches are shown to choose the better one when there is no CM.

> Because CafeTran treats the Context Match as the best AA - see that it doesn't show any more info.

Why is the CM then shown as the best AA, while a 44 % fuzzy is not the best AA, and AA offers only a (virtual) match value of 12 %? If I remember correctly AA uses here a percentage limit, doesn't it?

> I cannot choose any parts of a match

Just do it, please.

> Just click with the mouse at any result and it gets transferred to the target segment.

One more point: In this case I cannot choose any parts of a match (also fuzzy matches) or of a MT to enter them into the target segment, i.e. the matchboard has a rather limited functionality compared to the tabs, hasn't it? Perhaps this is the false approach, but IMHO the matchboard is a nice thing to replace several opened tabs. But then one basic functionality lacks – or does anyone really enter a whole MT phrase? In most cases it is a fragment or a determined term.

1. Because CafeTran treats the Context Match as the best AA - see that it doesn't show any more info.

2. To show more info about the match and to be able to edit it directly from the Matchboard.

That's a good idea, but
  • why does it have the same bar color as AA, though in most cases it is much better (the only difference being CM instead of AA)?
  • why is the same info displayed twice (just mentioning a kind of „UI simplification“ you asked for above), in this case even with 2 different notations (EM and CM)? I assume it can't be a question of performance.

> Next question: Why are there a CM and a EM out of the same TM displayed

So that you don't need to scroll down to find the best match of all. If CT finds nothing better, the Context Match is shown as CafeTran's AA result - high up in the list. This is almost certainly the correct translation.

No, it is reverse. The point is to have – even with the short information setting – full control. Even in the short information I get the full info about the context (hovering EM, FM etc.), including the creation date (and I would not mind having the name displayed there). And the TM's (or TB's) name is nothing trivial.

Next question: Why are there a CM and a EM out of the same TM displayed (obviously the same TU in the same, very small TM)? This is even more irritating if there are some fuzzies that are displayed below the CM and above the EM (Option "Sort by quality").

I am really confused. Why do you wish to have things so utterly complex like in 747 cockpit?

If you wish to see the full TM name, turn off the Shorten match information option.

If you wish to have the shortened TM name, turn on the Shorten match information option.

Why inventing some sub-options to straightforward simple option which does what it says?

> The coming update will show more characters from the TM name while the Shorten match information option is on.

That's nice, but won't help for many TMs.

> Any chances to get the TM name info?

The coming update will show more characters from the TM name while the Shorten match information option is on.

> Just click with the mouse at any result and it gets transferred to the target segment.

I must have been inattentive that I did not note this. Any chances to get the TM name info?

> there is no function yet to enter the matchboard's resuilts into the segment

I don't quite understand what you need any additional buttons in the Matchboard for. Just click with the mouse at any result and it gets transferred to the target segment.

It would be really great if some of your requests included UI simplifications (not increasing the complexity by adding more and more options, toggles, shortcuts or other UI elements).

I can't confirm 20 second delays.

Strange, my postings are disappearing. So again:
  • there is no function yet to enter the matchboard's resuilts into the segment (if not with the mouse, not the best way for AA or FM results)
  • there is sometimes a delay of up to 20 seconds until the results below the MT appear (small project, small TM, 80 words, about 500 ch. Is this a bug?

Login to post a comment