Start a new topic

REQ: Select several TMs when Open/add memory

When using the "Add memory" command on the dashboard or the command "Memory > Open memory" (shouldn't this wordning be unified? it is exactly the same function), it would be nice to be able to select several TMs at once.

At least with Mac this does not work

Only if you tick "Memories folder" and select a folder which holds your TMs.

Then, "Add memory" will behave as Memory > Open memories folder.

Btw, I miss "Glossaries folder" checkbox for glossaries.

This does not serve when you have
  • all your memories (of one or of all languages) in one folder
  • a client-specific folder with several docs, of which only a handful are memories

Indeed – if it was possible to open several memories at once – the question is how to treat them – all with the same settings (popping up the settings dialogue only once) or popping up the settings dialogue for any memory, but then the title of the settings dialogue would have to name the corresponding memory.

Just organize/place your TMs to open into one folder. You will have it plain and simple, and CT will have it clear too. There is no need to increase the complexity.

> There is no need to increase the complexity.
This is a mere question of file chooser configuration, I assumed. No complexity in sight. An unvisible feature, if you do not use it.
Some scenarios:
  • You have a text from client A that is quite similar to other texts of clients B and C, so you want to choose also these both TMs that are not inside your project template view. the TMs are residing in your general TM folder (but you don't want to open the rest of the 100+ TMs that are inside this folder).
  • Even then you need to reopen the dialog box for any TM. Cumbersome.
  • Reorganizuing and adding several TMs to your project template.
  • Even if I created an extra folder and copied the TM there, this would lead to many duplicates inside the project folders. I am not a fan of duplicated files.

I won't deny the usefulness of multiple selection when opening/adding a TM, but if we focus on solutions that are already present:

You can create an ad-hoc reference TM by adding all relevant TMs into one folder, opening it and saving the resulting TM. Then, the "duplicate files" can be safely deleted. The TM will be there for you to select or open, if you wish to create a template for this project.

Client/subject, etc. project/TMX properties can also be used for TM filtering.

Wouldn't Total Recall | Recall Memories (segments) be the ultimate solution in this case? You open your TM for client A, and you recall the segments of your Big Mama as in your database.

H.

IK: Just organize/place your TMs to open into one folder.

On a Mac, you can create a "Smart Folder" for the files relevant for this job. I think it should work, and there won't be any duplicate files.

H.

Total Recall is a solution for one of these use cases, as long as the corresponding segments are inside (people will transfer segments only after a time delay, at least so do I).

However adding several TMs to CT as such or adding s several TMs to a project template are not covered by any proposal.
> On a Mac, you can create a "Smart Folder" for the files relevant for this job

Thanks for the hint, but how would you define the search criteria? Nice proposal and perhaps feasible for certain projects, but maybe too complicated just to open several TMs.

Torsten: but how would you define the search criteria?

If the search criteria are a problem, you have a problem anyway.

H. (who will now call it a day)

> If the search criteria are a problem, you have a problem anyway.

Discussion style can be a question of attitude.

However, with a folder that contains dozens of TMs, you might have a problem to extract two TMs with a certain name, as this function only works with AND, not with OR (or am I mistaken?). Search inside the files (e.g. to find attributes) can work with some quirks, but might take long.

And all this for such a small config change?

Torsten: Discussion style can be a question of attitude.

You bet.

...or am I mistaken

You are. Mac 101

And all this for such a small config change?

I'm against all unnecessary changes.

H.

In CafeTran, you have the choice to select a file or a folder with files. It's just such a simple action to place all the necessary files to load into a separate folder. You get the additional benefit of clearer organization too. Let's strive to make things simpler, not the other way around.

Login to post a comment