Start a new topic

REQ Optimizing Matchboard

Hi, I think giving the option to hide in Matchboard the numbers of the hits (they're still available via TM tab) can improve its readability, I still find the Matchboard cluttered and hard to quickly find things.

Another suggestion would be the way it sorts stuff, I find hard to identify terms in there so, why not sorting the entries by the position they appear in the segment AND /OR by category (e.g. MT, AA, Fuzzy, Terms, Fragments, Virtual...) in blocks?

Right-click at the Matchboard and check the currently available options for sorting and organization.

I also find the matchboard not as helpful as it could be.

A suggestion discard duplicates arising via virtual matching (i.e. same target, different (but almost always only slightly different) source). I get lots of these, pushing anything useful off screen.

For example, "XYZ Institut für Biomaterials" is in my glossary, but what I see is
XYZ Institut für - XYZ Institute for
XYZ Institut - XYZ Institute for
with the glossary entry offscreen.

After reading this thread, I've now adjusted my settings to sort by quality (surely this should be the default setting?!!!!!!!!), which has improved things, but nonetheless any further reduction in spurious clutter would be welcomed.

1 person likes this
Also, why display exact matches in the matchboard when they're already displayed in the memory pane?

> nonetheless any further reduction in spurious clutter would be welcomed.

Try unchecking "Show fuzzy fragments" or/and "Show fuzzy terms" option.

> Also, why display exact matches in the matchboard when they're already displayed in the memory pane?

To let the user see the results from all the resources without navigating between individual resource tabs.

Thanks, Igor, I'll try to find the best way through current sorting.

I was very excited with the introduction of the Matchboard, I think it was a step from an OmegaT way (resources within individual boxes/tabs) to a memoQ way (master box for everything well sorted, well organized and very helpful) but with time I have a mixing feeling cause Matchboard is a way between the OmegaT and memoQ ways: let me explain,

We have tabs which in some ways are annoying, for example, If we need more than one TB (ProjectTB, ClientTB, MicrosoffTB and so on) we need a tab too much divided in order to see what we need, it's true we could open them as a single TB via Folder TB but you lose the feature of knowing where the term exactly comes from, so the matchboard is very useful for that (or should be) but it has SO many drawbacks...

1. Its cluttered, like A LOT, with too much information (MT, AA, and Fuzzy are ok or even mandatory, so I like having all of them in first place, that way I avoid having a space for each tab, the MT one and the others for fuzzies). The problem comes with huge amount of subsegments/fragments/virtual and ESPECIALLY with TB. If there are a lot of Virtual, fragments and so on, terms get mixed between them and the color for terms is not that different from the one for fragments and its very hard to find them at a glance.

For this, I tweaked a bit the Memory preferences in order not to get that many subsegments and get them more accurate (see screenshot).

2. Even tweaking the Memory preferences, when we come across a long segment, it's inevitable to get the Matchboard full of stuff so we need to scroll a lot to find terms (which in my opinion, are more important that subsegments), I think memoQ does here a great job: It shows the shortened results in just one line in its Matchboard and then, it shows all the info for the item selected right below, in three panes dedicated a. for source, b. for source differences and c. for target version (for fuzzies, 100%, 101%, 102%) and with term info when selecting a term.

So a way to better showing results in Matchboard it's frankly needed as now it just looks like a prototype (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Igor did a bad job with that, of course I'm not cause I really like the Matchboard, but suggesting rethinking the way it shows things should be welcomed).

3. HITS. Maybe I'm the only one that don't need to go to each segment a hit appears, I just take a look at the list and if it fits in my translation, I start typing and autosuggestion does the rest, but as we cannot have the matchboard and close tabs (so, we get double resources, which in some way is great as we can use the TM tabs for concordance purposes), isn't it counterproductive having below almost all subsegments a list from 1 to 10? An option to set them hided would free space and unclutter the matchboard, avoiding too much scrolling and better view as the numbers/colors bar below a subsegment is too much distracting.

1 person likes this

PS.

3. HITS. Maybe I'm the only one that don't need to go to each segment a hit appears, I just take a look at the list and if it fits in my translation, I start typing and autosuggestion does the rest, but as we cannot have the matchboard and close tabs (so, we get double resources, which in some way is great as we can use the TM tabs for concordance purposes), isn't it counterproductive having below almost all subsegments a list from 1 to 10? An option to set them hided would free space and unclutter the matchboard, avoiding too much scrolling and better view as the numbers/colors bar below a subsegment is too much distracting.

I meant: we can hide those in Matchboard and still have them in TM pane.

And last, I know I can hide stuff from the Matchboard, BUT I just don't want to hide them, I mean, I just want to hide hits bar but still get those results as they're useful.

> I meant: we can hide those in Matchboard and still have them in TM pane.

Please set sorting by quality to let CafeTran display the highest quality matches first. Displaying hit numbers for lower quality (fuzzy) matches in the Matchboard is optional in the coming update.

1 person likes this
@victorparragarcia: Looks like Total Recall is mainly to blame there.
@Igor: I'm looking forward to the Optional displaying pf hit numbers for lower quality (fuzzy) matches in the Matchboard in the coming update! Slowly but surely, the Matchboard is becoming very cool, and I almost use it exclusively at the moment, instead of all my previous little boxes (or tabs). 

1 person likes this

PS: here are my current Memory settings. Am going to test yours and see how things work.

1 person likes this

Btw, why did you remove everything from the Do not match list? That's a pretty radical decision.

I currently have the following in mine: ,.。:;!¡?¿[]"«»‘’“”„'’()

1 person likes this
Hi Michael! Thanks for training your time to reply. I'm still playing with total recall but as I have a 16Gb RAM computer I think I'm sticking with just TMX. I've updated these preferences and choose selected 25 for both subsegment hits threshold and subsegment to virtual threshold to avoid fake positives at maximum, it seems it works better now. And I removed those characters because I was getting fake 100% matches like: 1. = 1, 100% Hello, = Hola: 100% And so on, does it make sense? CT is SO confusing sometimes.
By the way, sorry for the mistakes, typing on my tiny phone! :P
Login to post a comment