Start a new topic

Appearance for Corporation :-)

Dear CT Team:

I am not freelance translator and only a staff of several hundreds in-house translators in full-time in a corporation.

I had a chance to show CT to a decision-maker who is not my boss and is checking up the translating tools: OmegaT, Trados, GlobalSight, MateCAT, SmartCAT, Pootle, Weblate, Translate5, etc.

He did not have a good feeling to CT because of project start page and editor's interface...

So it is good for CT to have a user interface option like MS OFFICE or corporate software the above decision-makers love.

Dear Hosun,

Please hint to the decision maker not to "judge a book by its cover".

Thanks,

Igor

You mean the ribbon interface? The developer can correct me if I'm wrong, but CafeTran does not try to emulate other software or software interfaces.

I think the user interface of a CAT tool should please the translators who use it, not decision makers. Decision makers should take the necessary time to assess the available options, not dismiss them on first look, as this will only lead them to poor judgement and decisions.

CafeTran offers various options to modify the look and feel in Preferences > Appearance (there is also one theme that specifically fits the desktop, Windows, OS X or Linux), the theme in View > Themes, the window layout in View > Window layout, etc.

From the CafeTran home page:

Freelancer-Oriented, But Industrial-Strength

Don’t let the fact that CafeTran Espresso is perfect for freelance translators fool you — this tool also boasts commercial-grade capabilities. The tool can be used with “big data” TM’s (millions of TU’s), complex formats, Studio packages, jobs requiring clipboard translation, and so on. There are also rich QA (quality assurance) and statistics functions. And get this: the standard version of CafeTran Espresso — there is only one! — is capable of acting as a TM server, so team-based collaboration is also supported.

> Please hint to the decision maker not to "judge a book by its cover".

Indeed CT does not shine & convince from the first second, but only after working some time with it. But it could be a nice idea to add some themes, flavors, tabs arrangements and/or configurations like "Studio", "memoQ", "Wordfast" that resemble these programs a bit (only a bit) more to get their users a bit faster or more convinced (but beware of using tradenakred names).

> Indeed CT does not shine & convince from the first second.

I think you should add "to me". I know there are users who love CT interface at first sight bored with the common look of the tools you mentioned. Ribbons? Ask typical Mac or Linux users what they think of ribbons. ;) I don't dislike ribbons but I think menus are as much functional - see LibreOffice suite for example. 

Just for fun, LibreOffice now offers an optional implementation of the "Ribbon" interface : http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02

I have deleted two posts and cannot write more... because this account is not my own.

I am not freelance.

Idim:

"Decision makers should take the necessary time to assess the available options, not dismiss them on first look, as this will only lead them to poor judgement and decisions."

That won't get you very far if you want to sell a product. Except in the rare cases where you are in a position to 'educate the market' (large advertising budget, authority born out of past products), decision-makers will do what you do. You can't change that. You have to adapt to them or die.

(To be clear, I'm not saying Igor should do this - I don't really have a view on that. Apple have shown that a good intuitive user interface can be good business, but that doesn't mean there isn't still space for horrible unintuitive interfaces like CT.)

Don*t blame decision makers for their decisions, at least not if he/she is your manager.

• build a good fundament for their decision, strip everything down to the decisive points
  • e.g. draw a comparison chart, based on your needs. Depending on the situation, you can underline or hide certain aspects to foster your favorite (but keep being honest).
  • it could be a reasonable task for software vendors to foster this kind of things: kind of comparison charts, prominent or very active users (not me!). Think of across - a horrible tool, but they have these tons of Whitepapers to persuade big companies

Paraphrasing:

Ranting won’t get you very far if you want to sell an idea to a developer (and in general).

While it is nice to know that a decision maker, somewhere in the world, "did not have a good feeling to CT because of project start page and editor’s interface... So it is good for CT to have a user interface option like MS OFFICE or corporate software the above decision-makers love."

Obliging to such general/sweeping recommendations won’t get you very far if you want to develop a successful software.

CafeTran is one of the software tools whose development IS in large part shaped by specific recommendations originating from its users. So be specific. Or don’t.

As for selling considerations, I leave these to the software owner. Not my business.

Signing off.

Login to post a comment