Start a new topic

Dropbox/Mega sync

Hi folks!

I'm trying to sync all my work (I mean, all projects I'm working on and all its resources) through both my desktop computer and my laptop one.

What I did:

I created

/Dropbox/Cafetran/Projects

/Dropbox/Cafetran/TM

/Dropbox/Cafetran/TB

so I can have my projects in both computers with TM's and TB's, can open them in both computers and just work with the one I have closer.

Problems:

1. I translate sdlxliff ALL the time so, when I create a project from a sdlxliff file, there's not really a project cause we just work right on this file SO, how can I open for the first time (without loosing its resources attached) this project on the computer it wasn't created?

2. Resources like spellcheking, non-translatables, learned words for spellchecking, abbreviations, shortcuts, MT credentials, Web resources, even preferences (from interface to RAM asigned...) are not synced the way I'm doing it SO, would it be possible (so that, we can have just the same software in both devices, with same configuration? If yeah, can anyone guide me?

Thanks a lot!

Ouch, I encounter a new issue, what about databases? How could I have them synced without copying/pasting every time?

Igor:

>You can run into the licensing issues as CT license is bound the the computer (not the cloud). I would recommend syncing your projects and resources only. There may be added an option to share spell checker dictionaries as well in the future. For now, just keep two sets and copy and paste them between the two installation to their respective folders.

Thanks! Yeah, I thought so, I was just curious how Michael got it working as I thought it was impossible.

Think about sharing segmentation rules too! :)

@victor: I think you can just manually edit the desktop shortcut (via right-click).

Question: If I copy the whole CafeTran folder to Dropbox/Mega, how can I tell both my computers to launch Cafetran from that path and not from the default one?

Yeah, memoQ is not as easy to use with Dropbox, etc.

> Question: If I copy the whole CafeTran folder to Dropbox/Mega, how can I tell both my computers to launch Cafetran from that path and not from the default one?

You can run into the licensing issues as CT license is bound to the computer (not the cloud). I would recommend syncing your projects and resources only. There may be added an option to share spell checker dictionaries as well in the future. For now, just keep two sets and copy and paste them between the two installation to their respective folders.

1 person likes this

Michael:

Wow! Thanks for the explanation! I use Mega actually, said Dropbox for being more generic, just for the capacity, 50Gb is far sweet :)

Question: If I copy the whole CafeTran folder to Dropbox/Mega, how can I tell both my computers to launch Cafetran from that path and not from the default one?

By the way, while I was looking for the same solution concerning memoQ I read some of your posts on ProZ concerning the subject matter but I wasn't able to get a propper solution for memoQ, each time I opened a project on a different computer that the one used for the last translation time had messed TM and so on, frankly terrible :S.

Jean:

- TRADOS PACKAGES: CafeTran can handle Trados packages without the need to rename them and extract the zip. It does the extraction itelf and loads the included SDLXLIFFs and SDLTM (but not the SDLTB, this has to be converted).

I need to run Trados QA for specific projects so my client send me a QA file with their stuff. Is a MUST finishing my projects on Trados.

By the way, little offtopic, I always use for each project: Big_Mama (tmx with ALL individual tmx in there, for concordance purposes), ProjectTM (as a temporary file, for coherence purposes and for backing up), and SubjectTM (for pretranslation [I guess here is called "insert matches" or something], concordance, and for sending to the client). I have Big_Mama and SubjectTM read only cause I just want to use them as references and ProjectTM is the one being written in real time. When finishing a translation of a sdlxliff, I go to Save project and Export file, then rework it on Trados, SO, when the file is reworked in Trados, I use to tweak things, how could I write that on Big_Mama and SubjectTM (once everything is proofread in Trados I mean)?

- PROJECT TEMPLATES

Nice! Didn't know that!

Apart from a few things, which are stored in the Windows registry (e.g. keyboard shortcuts, which is a real pity IYAM), pretty much everything important is inside the CT install folder:

OK, I stand corrected on syncing folders outside the Dropbox folder.

For the CT preferences location on Windows, I cannot confirm or infirm, though 

@idim: re "file location information" … just make sure you use the same exact folders on your two Windows machines, and this should also work.

On Windows, if you just stick the whole CT folder (C:\CafeTran Espresso\) inside Dropbox, spellcheking, non-translatables, learned words for spellchecking, abbreviations, etc. (all that stuff) should be synced just fine.

I'm not using Dropbox myself anymore as I now use CrashPlan Pro, but I used to use Dropbox to sync everything CT-related, and it worked pretty well, apart from the occasional syncing error.

Some thoughts, related to more recent CafeTran developments: 

- TRADOS PACKAGES: CafeTran can handle Trados packages without the need to rename them and extract the zip. It does the extraction itelf and loads the included SDLXLIFFs and SDLTM (but not the SDLTB, this has to be converted).

- PROJECT TM AND TB FOR EXTERNAL PROJECTS: If you have Project memory and Project glossary options ticked on the Dashboard, CafeTran creates the ProjectTM.tmx and ProjectTerms.txt when you open External projects at the project location, no need to do so manually.

- PROJECT TEMPLATES: Project templates are an easy and very practical way to save the current set up (ticked resources etc.) for later use or reuse, but they contain file location information, so my guess is that it is not a viable solution for syncing scenarios, unless you tweak the xm file, which defeats the purpose of syncing (=convenience).

This is a pity, because otherwise Project templates would be the way to go.

You would close the project in CafeTran, then go to the Dashbord menu button > Save project template, save the xml within the cafetran folder, which syncs. Then, lets say you want to pick up the project on a different computer, you would go to Dashboard menu button > Project templates and select your template. Then drag and drop the package or select it from the drop-down menu. The memory options dialog opens systematically for the attached SDLTM.

As I said, the above does NOT work for syncing. At least yet.

Maybe Igor can think of a desktop-agnostic solution for templates.

CAFETRAN PREFERENCES LOCATION FOR WINDOWS

The CafeTran preferences are saved elsewhere (outside the Cafetran folder), so a Windows user or Igor should explain where these are located.

Once you know the location, you can copy it to the other computer as well.

But syncing that folder will probably require another syncing application, since Dropbox does not seem to support syncing folders outside of the Dropbox folder. This is a Dropbox limitation.

REFERENCES

You may want to check the section about External projects, and Trados files and packages in particular, in the CafeTran Espresso - File formats reference document I've created.

CT also stores some stuff in the Windows registry.

Btw, you can use one of these to easily sync stuff outside the Dropbox folder:

Boxifier: Sync any folder to your Dropbox without moving/copying it to the Dropbox folder . Right click on a folder to sync it. The only application which supports folders on USB/removable/external drives, network shares/network mapped drives, network attached storage (NAS).  Has nice Windows Explorer integration so you can see which of the files are synced (green checkmark) or in progress (blue circle). Supports all the features of the Dropbox context menu (View on dropbox.com , Share Dropbox link, View previous versions).

Dropbox Folder Sync: Sync or Unsync a folder by just selecting an option from the right click popup/context menu. This is the recommended method.

Dropboxifier: An application to help you create and manage Dropbox links across multiple machines. Requires Windows Vista or higher and .NET 4.0.

Link Shell Extension: There is a tutorial on how to use Link Shell Extension in conjunction with Dropbox.

SyncToy: Makes an always-up-to-date copy of one folder with a folder in your Dropbox. This keeps 2 copies of the folder on your computer.

SyncToCloud: SyncToCloud is the delivery of free software designed to synchronize data from various sources into a cloud, whereby data may be shared based on end-user-defined rules.

Actually, CT is a weird case, usually, all app config folders go to C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming but CT keeps those files under the installation folder (C:\Cafetran in my case) but there must be other folder I'm missing cause once, I had to remove the software and reinstall it and all my preferences were there as I left them before uninstalling.

The user interface is not really a must but a handy feature, however, the learned words for spellchecking is really a must as hunspell for Spanish is quite crappy and working on .sdlxliff I can't really use export<proofread in Word<import updates back to CT (if there's a way and I'm wrong, it'd be amazing to know ^^, I could work with tables and html w/o problem as the formatting and layout is not important for me).

What I do with Trados files:

1. Change the file extension of the Trados package to .zip in order to get the /es-es/.sdlxliff.

2. Create a folder with the name of the project (ProjectX) under /Dropbox/Cafetran/Project/

3. Copy in /Dropbox//Cafetran/Project/ProjectX the .sdlxliff from /es-es/.sdlxliff from Trados package.

4. Create a new project on CT choosing the .sdlxliff from /Dropbox//Cafetran/Project/ProjectX, where I put also a ProjectTM and a ProjectTB for consistency purposes and I also attach all the memories I need for the project that are under /Dropbox/Cafetran/TM and /Dropbox/Cafetran/TB

So now I got my project and its resources. Let's say I do that with my desktop computer. Once I go to the laptop side, I have everything under Dropbox, there's no problem with that, however, If I want to continue the translation on that specific project, there's no really an index file to open on CT for it to know the "project" settings SO, what I'm doing at the moment is creating again the project using the files from dropbox, as the .sdlxliff is edited itself, the changes are still there (the same with ProjectTM and ProjectTB) but I have to manually attach the Reference TMX and TB, which is annoying :/. Another thing that makes me thing it's a hard stuff is the fact Dropbox folders in both computers don't have the same path, as the computers have different user names (C:\Users\victor_desk\Dropbox and C:\Users\victor_lapt\Dropbox, so I guess theres no way to "transfer" projects from one side to the other without manually pointing to resources on each computer).

Is there any way to create a "package" in Cafetran from a project so that I just need to double-click on it on the computer it wasn't created?

1. Can Dropbox sync files that are outside of the Dropbox folder?

Dropbox only syncs the files that are in your Dropbox folder. - https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/sync-overview

Assuming the above is true, you simply need to have your SLDXLIFF files inside a Dropbox-synced folder, for example by manually creating a folder inside Cafetran/Projects for each SDLXLIFF project.

Other syncing solutions may offer syncing outside the default folder.

2. In GNU/Linux, some CT preferences are stored in the ~/.java folder. I don't know about Windows. My guess is that in Windows too, some preferences are stored elsewhere than in the Cafetran folder. Windows users or Igor will be able to confirm that.

Assuming preferences are not changed too often, copying the relevant resource from one computer to another should work. Otherwise, a sync solution which supports additional custom locations would be needed.

Login to post a comment