Start a new topic

REQ: Export as simple docx without layout

There are several arguments und functions for this:

• to reread a text (2nd proofread), mostly printed out, to check if its style is appropiate and fluent
  • the table format is not the right one for this and to get a good and printer-friendly preview a lot of clicks and workarounds is necessary
  • there are (external) formats (also xls, idml and others) where a simple export to target does not work or the format (xlsx) is not appropiate for the function above
  • the "Export to text" function (anybody uses this?) usually opens in a printer un-friendly text editor and opening it in a Word processor can become trial and error (the text file does not have the coding saved) – a simple substition of "Export to text" with "Export to simple docx" (with the correct language code forced) would also be fine.

1. Filter > Target segments view.

2. Project > Export and exchange > To HTML File... .

3. Open the .html file Word/LibreOffice/Your web browser.

Note that the right-hand column is for notes.

Fine, I did not know this. But:
  1. it is still a table
  2. it remains printer- und eco-unfriendly (printing a HTML can have - based on system and browser settings - very disparate results)
At least point 1 can be theoretically resolved (but convert table to text does not work here).

The waste of ink is very similar to other CAT tools (especially memoQ). Didn't you want to differentiate CT from other tools? :-P

The waste of ink is very similar to other CAT tools (especially memoQ).

I haven't realized CT is wasting so much ink, Perhaps a laser printer would be a workaround for you. By the way, doesn't Word have an option to exclude background colors from printing or change the background to the eye-killer white color?

> Perhaps a laser printer would be a workaround for you.

I had a color laser printer until it scrapped after only two years (HP sucks). A HP toner set costs about a half of a really good ink printer (about 240 €, necessary after about six months). Actually i use a Canon ink printer, and perhaps I will switch back to a color laser of this brand. "Ink" in my case means ink or toner. A grey printout of green marked tables from the bilingual word tables must be a horror, I assume. I never have tested to print this green in gray scales. And I try to print out any project, as there is nothing better than to sit aside and reread a text on paper.

> eye-killer white color

In case of the HTMl files, the background of the segments has a eye-killer white color. And I must confess that I have no idea what the brown/beige color of the non-white table cells is for. :-)

Perhaps the layout of the HTML and the bilingual word can be approached somehow (with less/lighter colors), to create a kind of consistency. And perhaps a kind of fat green, yellow or red dot is an idea that convinces you, similar to the new parallel segment numbers in the grid after filtering (that are great).

And I must confess that I have no idea what the brown/beige color of the non-white table cells is for. :-)

1. To have less white on the screen for the majority of users who prefer reading on the screen than printing it on paper.

2. To differentiate the notes column.

As I said above, please try excluding background colors from printing in Word print options. 

In both formats – bilingual file and HTML file – the colors are printed out despite of having the option of printing BG colors deactivated/excluded (Word 2016, Mac). LibreOffice has such an option hidden in the preferences, but it then also prints green (again Mac).

Perhaps an option to (de-)activate colors could resolve this.

Login to post a comment