There are several arguments und functions for this:
1. Filter > Target segments view.
2. Project > Export and exchange > To HTML File... .
3. Open the .html file Word/LibreOffice/Your web browser.
Note that the right-hand column is for notes.
> The waste of ink is very similar to other CAT tools (especially memoQ).
I haven't realized CT is wasting so much ink, Perhaps a laser printer would be a workaround for you. By the way, doesn't Word have an option to exclude background colors from printing or change the background to the eye-killer white color?
Perhaps the layout of the HTML and the bilingual word can be approached somehow (with less/lighter colors), to create a kind of consistency. And perhaps a kind of fat green, yellow or red dot is an idea that convinces you, similar to the new parallel segment numbers in the grid after filtering (that are great).
> And I must confess that I have no idea what the brown/beige color of the non-white table cells is for. :-)
1. To have less white on the screen for the majority of users who prefer reading on the screen than printing it on paper.
2. To differentiate the notes column.
As I said above, please try excluding background colors from printing in Word print options.