Start a new topic

REQ: Add SVG as a native file filter for CTE

Hello,

I would like to suggest the official addition of an SVG native filter to CafeTran Espresso.

BACKGROUND

Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an open standard XML-based vector image format for two-dimensional graphics with support for interactivity and animation.

SVG images and their behaviors are defined in XML text files. They are supported by most modern browsers, and can be embed in various documents (word processing, such as LibreOffice and Microsoft Office 2016, DTP, imaging applications, etc.).

They can be produced by Inkscape [free and open source software], Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash Professional, or CorelDRAW, and rendered to common raster image formats such as PNG using the same software.

COMPELLING REASONS

• Being an XML file type and an open standard, the SVG format should be fairly easy to add. It might even require almost no effort.
    Indeed, at present, CafeTran seems to already handle SVG files: If you drag and drop an SVG file which includes text strings, and use the XML file format, the text is recognized, and you can export a translated version bearing the SVG output format, no renaming needed.
    The first line of text should not be translated though (and in a native file filter, perhaps hidden from view), as it defines the file type: image/svg+xml
  • Since Adobe Illustrator can import and export SVG files, an SVG filter would also help handle Adobe Illustrator files (*.ai or *.eps) as well as DWG or CAD files, exported to SVG by Adobe Illustrator. 
  • This would make CafeTran support an image file format via its “Translate document” workflow!
Note: SVG files can be read/viewed, and further edited with the free and open source software Inkscape. A little care is needed during the export from AI: http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_for_Adobe_Illustrator_users#To_Save_Files_in_Inkscape_for_Use_with_Adobe_Illustrator_and_vice_versa

I can provide some examples of SVG files, although sample files can be found on the Internet as well.

What do you think?

Hi,

Sure, you can submit a support ticket with two or three .svg sample files attached.

Thank you Igor, I have submitted some sample files.

Login to post a comment