> When I search for text in project segments, the position of the "GO TO CURRENT SEGMENTS" link
Thanks! The latest build (2017122101) corrects the link position. It also features the following improvements:
- added the filter for Vector Graphics (.svg) files.
- automatic removal of non-translatable duplicates in F4 list.
- normalization of source segment apostrophes for the "Prefix matching" feature.
- fixed the display of the source document name in the title bar in newly created projects.
- change of the "New project" icon in the Dashboard after the selection of the "Multiple document project" option.
Please download and repeat the update as described in the first announcement post of this news thread.
The new build of CTE 2018 Forerunner is available for download with the following:
- added an option to export all documents with notes in the glue mode.
- added the display of the background color from Ms Word tables in the grid.
- fixed an issue with auto-scrolling of MT panels when they are joined together.
- fixed an issue with colors while zooming the text in the segment editors.
Please download and apply the build via the same update link as described in the first announcement post of this news. The new build number (2018010401) will be displayed in the Help > About panel after updating.
Silly thing but...
In the segment grid, the segment number now appears at the top of the right hand side box (rather than in the middle of the box as before). To pick that segment, we now have to click directly on that tiny number. Would it be possible to be able to click anywhere in the number box? Before, you could at least click on the number or anywhere above it, giving the sloppy clicker a chance to activate a segment without being William Tell.
> the elements in the first line have been puzzled through. The normal left-to-right logic is being disturbed (the Open project button left from the project dropdown list does not make sense)
I don't understand that preference for left-to-right. The user selects the project and click the Open Project button - going from left to right is as much logical as from right to left. I can't see any difference whatsoever. I am a left-handed person so by the above definition you might call me illogical. The English drive on the left and it is as logical as on the right-hand side.
> on smaller Windows screens the first line consists of two lines.
That's because of smaller Windows screens.
> the language lists are relatively wirde beacuse of rather exotic languages.
Each language is on equal footing in terms of its display. I don't understand your point of shortening exotic languages. If you don't use them, you can't see them displayed.
> TM-Town resources...
> the cases and buttons at the bottom of the fields take much space and are too big/too high
> the border around the fields is really wide (perhaps a leaner design would make the dashboard look more elegant)the only point here not concerning tthe dashboard; the links inside the MT tabs have become much bigger than before, > > could become buttons or very small text
Do you really mean that "very small text"? The change was just exactly to make the links clear and more readable as users complained about them being small.
Honestly, I don't quite understand the above points. I would if you said the opposite, that is, too small. If there is room, the menu and button elements should use that space fully. The bigger means more readable. For example, see the interfaces of menus and buttons in modern computer games - they are very big, huge actually! And this is especially true for all kinds of Dashboards.
Frequently in the past, I had numerous complains about the small size of various UI elements - especially on high-resolution screens. When all those issues have been finally addressed, the user rants about just the opposite. Another Catch-22 case.
By the way, the user has the option to change the size of the most UI elements by changing the UI font via the menu View > Font > User interface. Please change it or other fonts size options in this menu if you find them too big.
With 1369 pixel width?
> If you don't use them, you can't see them displayed.
Sure, but they make the dropdown lists very wide. Perhaps it wouldn't disturb if the first line would not split into
> Do you really mean that "very small text"?
I really like somehow bigger fonts than the average, but I had no problem to read the text in the former version. And I am unsure how many people do not prefer to use the automatic insert function for marked text (do you need to be an advanced user for this?).
I never complained about elements being too small (and I have no hig resolution screen). However, when switching from big to small icons it would perhaps be a good idea to use the same small icons on the dashboard.
> Maybe a question of reading direction,
Reading direction has nothing to do with the ordering of menus. For example, check the order of bookmarks in the browser menu? Does it have any relationship with reading direction? None. I can read them left to right as well as right to left.
> And why is the templates' icon between these two buttons?
It is not the templates menu but the menu in general. You can see the similar menu symbol in lots of modern UI designs. As for its position, left or right? Check it in the websites. It is only a choice in design. It is not fixed and it can be either right or left. Again it has nothing to do with the reading direction. In CT, it is just close to the New project button to reduce mouse movement when choosing a project type.
> With 1369 pixel width?
Why not? What's wrong with the two lines here? If CT cannot find space for elements in one line, it folds the line into two.
> And I am unsure how many people do not prefer to use the automatic insert function for marked text
Mouse users get the same attention/preference as keyboard shortcut users.
> it would perhaps be a good idea to use the same small icons on the dashboard.
Dashboards in general have larger UI elements than the rest of the interface.
> Mouse users get the same attention/preference as keyboard shortcut users.
I use this function (automatic text insertion (of a part, not of the whole) by marking it somewhere on the GUI only with the mouse.
Downloaded and installed v2018 forerunner. Merge function (CTRL+ALT+arrow up) is working on the source side but not on the target side. Bug or did I overlook something?
> when I 'Join segments'
I cannot confirm it yet. The tips to identify the issue:
1. Make sure the previous result appears before you submit the new one.
2. Check if the submitted segments contain some unusual characters.
3. The "Join segments" action may produce long segments. DeepL web interface can have some limit (probably 5000 characters).
4. Check your Internet connection.
If you find any pattern apart from long segments, please submit a support ticket so that it can be reproduced.
The new build of CTE 2018 Forerunner (2017120401) is available for download with the following:
- fixed a join segment issue with the simultaneous joining of both source and target segment.
- removed the Filter for kWord documents as this KOffice suite has been obsoleted.
- "Translated" status via the Task menu can be applied to the filtered segments only.
Please update the program as described in the announcement post above.
CafeTran Espresso 2018 Forerunner is available for download. The update can be performed via Drag & Drop as follows:
1. Run CafeTran.
2. Download 20171130_update.zip file from here and place it on your desktop. Do not unzip or rename the file after downloading.
Note: On Mac OSX system, Safari web browser may unzip the file automatically after downloading it. Before you download the update file, uncheck the following Safari option:
Safari > Preferences > General > Open "safe" files after downloading.
3. Run CafeTran and Drag & Drop the downloaded 20171130.zip file anywhere in CafeTran's initial screen - the Dashboard.
Alternatively, you can install 20171130_update.zip file via the "Install Update" button in the Help > About panel instead of dragging and dropping.
Important! The update features some improvements to MS Word filter. Please complete all your Word translation projects in your current CafeTran version before updating.
- display of actual segment numbers in the Filter and QA view.
- segmenting on LibreOffice headings.
- option to use only high priority fragments when teaming Auto-assembling result with Machine Translation.
- separate joining of source and target segments which have already been created in the Alignment workflow.
- deleting segments in the Alignment workflow.
- keeping the newline characters in sdlxliff segments.
- set the 2000 character limit for the automatic look-up of the current segment to avoid delays.
- export to bilingual Words documents from external projects.
- distinguishing between 100% translated units and approved/checked segments in sdlxliff projects.
- connection to Youdao MT online resource via the web browser interface.
- option to add invisible characters in the form of Unicode numbers to the "Do not match" list.
- sorting of TMX memories in the edit mode.
2 people like this