Reference Documents

A CafeTran translator, Jean Dimitriadis, has created the following reference documents on the latest version of CafeTran:

1. CafeTran Espresso - Preferences.
  2. CafeTran Espresso - Menu and Interface.
  3. CafeTran Espresso - Translation Memory Options.
  4. CafeTran Espresso - ChangeLog.

Thanks Jean!

3 people like this

Great! Thank you, Jean.

Minor detail: The shortcuts in the screenshots are not the ones used on a Mac. You may want to add a note on this.

H.

Hello,

These curated documents aim to serve as reference and empower both new and more experienced CafeTran Espresso users, in combination to other CafeTran resources, such as the Knowledge Base (Solutions) and the Forum.

Mostly neutral, they will be expanded, and complemented in time with some more personal documents about CafeTran’s usage aspects, which I prefer to add separately.

To ensure maximum usefulness over time, keeping the reference documents accurate and up-to-date is the real challenge, heightened by CafeTran’s very active development.

In order to keep things sane and simple, except for new content, I intend to update the docs roughly once every month.

Fellow CafeTranslators are welcome to help improve the content by sending feedback as described at the bottom of which file.

At first, I would like to focus on fixing any incorrect information.

CLASSEUR.IO

The documents are hosted at classeur.io, an excellent online markdown editor.

Read the docs on a browser, adjust the view, search, copy them in easy markdown format, jump to the relevant section via the included Table Of Contents, export to PDF or other file formats (I suggest styled HTML - PDF), etc.

With the following link, you can access all published files in one folder: http://xl8.link/ct-docs

THE DOCS

The “ChangeLog” conveniently gathers in one place all changes announced in CafeTran News for CT updates and additional builds.

“Preferences” offers a tour of CafeTran’s Preferences, which lack help tips. They also provide some additional usage information, and link help tips to the Keyboard shortcut section, so that you can easily discover what each keyboard shortcut does and to which menu they refer.

“Menu and Interface” provides an alternative way to explore CafeTran menus and various interface elements, mostly relying on visuals and help tips that are built-in into CafeTran.

Due to their importance, Translation Memory options have been added in a separate document. 

THANK YOU

The content has been gathered from various sources: Igor’s Solutions, CafeTran’s built-in help tips, Forum posts, group list messages, and, of course, the old wiki. Thank you all!   

Jean DImitriadis

Thank you, Hans. I have specified that those are the defaults in GNU/Linux (and I guess they are the same in Windows), but I could add the OS X defaults as well, if anyone can send them to me.

Cheers,

Jean

Jean: ...if anyone can send them to me

I can, but I don't think it's necessary. Just mention that they can be different. The thing is that I think there are quite a few "switchers," people who were used to Windows, then bought a Mac, and want to try CafeTran. It can confuse them to see what I also think are Windows shortcuts. In their eyes.

H.

I really appreciate your great efforts!

1 person likes this

Hello,

Today, I'm sharing a new reference document called: "CafeTran Espresso - File formats".

This file aims to cover natively supported file formats in CafeTran, provide compatibility information on  external bilingual projects (files and packages) and discuss solutions to handle not yet supported file types.

Some highlights include:

- An image in "File formats overview" to view all supported formats in one glance.

- Some General notes on external bilingual XLIFF files, which gather in one place the differences between "Translate external project” workflow and the“Translate document” workflow. Information on additional limitations or segment status mapping is displayed separately for each external tool.

- The Unsupported formats section features a rich discussion regarding the PDF format, among other file types.

- An excellent Solution for dealing with a host of yet unsupported file formats via an easy round trip through MateCat is explained in detail, be sure to check it out! MateCat builds partly upon Okapi Framework filters and represents probably the easiest way to use these filters.

All other documents have been updated for CafeTran Espresso 2018 Forerunner, with CafeTran Espresso - Menu and Interface having additional explanations on several context menus and dialogs.

Enjoy!

Jean

The website classeur.io is a cauchemar on iOS browsers (only very slow, sluggish scrolling possible on Safari, Firefox and Chrome). It might also be a good idea and it is good practice to choose a systematic approach and make smaller pages to reduce the load to download one page. Not every user has always a superfast and/or free-run connection.

Thank you for the comment, tre.

I have used TinyPNG on all screenshots, considerably reducing the PNG size (to a few KB per image), to ensure as good results as possible.

While I don't think my approach is short of being systematic, I understand that my choice to use long one-pagers can be seen as less than optimal, especially for mobile devices. However, I have found it more practical in a number of ways, both for editing and for referring to each document, at least when working on a computer (since CafeTran Espresso does not run on mobile devices). One can easily find things via in-page search or jump to the relevant section through the Table of Contents.

I have no issue whatsoever using classeur.io on Linux (mostly using Vivaldi here, but also tested it in Chromium, Chrome and Firefox), while having only a moderate broadband connexion. Instead of mouse scrolling, I often simply use the Space key to scroll down (or Page Up/Down, if I'm feeling adventurous), very quick and convenient. I assumed it would work just as well on other platforms, being a web app not geared towards a specific OS. Perhaps unrightly so.

At least, if it does not work for you, that does not leave you out of options. You can use the content offline and remove any bandwidth cost attached to it by exporting the reference files to PDF or other formats via the Menu button (for a mobile-friendly reflowable text, you can even choose EPUB and add it to your iBooks on iOS).

Of course, I would then recommend to export new docs once in a while, as I intend to keep these files up-to-date, something which classeur.io and it's online markdown editor makes possible with a minimum of fuss.

It's not a sprint, it's a marathon!

Jean

Please disregard my comment on scrolling, as it related to computers, not mobile devices.

Images are loaded via Imgur, but their reduced uploaded size is relevant all the same. 

I have been reading the docs and I must say THANKS! Even If I'm a long term CT user, the tips are really useful!

Jean: THOSE huge tittlebars from Gnome 3 (?) :P!

You're welcome! 

Gnome 3 it is :-)

Title bar height can be tweaked, but the default is quite big indeed.

1 person likes this

I'd like to suggest that somehow, Igor makes the Reference Documents available in the Help menu. I don't know if that's feasible, and I don't know if Jean can update them in that case.

H.

Hello Hans,

Thank you for the heads up! This warning must have appeared a few hours ago, it wasn't there yesterday when I visited the classeur.io documents.

I have imported my files into StackEdit, but to share them I must first pick a web platform where I will publish them, since there is no shareable URL per se.

I will fix this and update the documents by the end of February, so stay tuned!

As for your recommendation, when you go to Help > Contents in CafeTran, the Solutions page opens in the default web browser. Since the Solutions contain a link to the reference documents, wouldn't that be deemed sufficient? Keeping the documents easily updatable is a number one priority for me.

Thanks again!

J.

I'd recommend a really durable solution

- your own site

- CT website

- another durable platform (such as Sourceforge, Wikia or similar, depeding on their T&C) with several responsable persons (to avoid the bus factor risks)

Unfortunately, the classeur files are cluttered with Javascript for bling bling effects, so a HTML rendered solutions might be preferable.

Login to post a comment