Start a new topic

There must be a faster way to quickly add preliminary matching results to my ProjectTM?

Hi Igor,

I did the following:

1. Loaded project with very large TM + small Project TM

2. Memory > Export preliminary matching memory (which produced a Pretranslation.tmx, stored on my disk)

3. Memory > Import preliminary matching memory

However, instead of importing the "Pretranslation.tmx" file into my ProjectTM, which I was expecting, CT just opened "Pretranslation.tmx", and I then had to add it to my ProjectTM via

Memory > Join Memory...

Surely there must be a more direct way to quickly import the preliminary matching results into my ProjectTM? Ideally, after preliminary matching is finished, if you select a TM in the tabbed pane and select "Memory > Import preliminary matching memory", it should just be added to the TM.

Michael

Well, I haven't used Preliminary Matching for ages, so things may have changed, but the main problem with it, is that the PM file will trigger Exact Matches, for each and every sentence. So it should be kept out of Auto-Assembly, and should most certainly not be merged with the Project Memory.

The Total Recall approach (Recall Memory/Segments) is much better in my view, but that TMX file shouldn't be merged with the Project File either.

H.

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand this bit:

"the main problem with it, is that the PM file will trigger Exact Matches, for each and every sentence."

I already merged the darned thing though, so will just see what happens. So far, I haven't noticed any spurious Exact Matches in my ProjectTM causing havoc. But will keep an eye out.

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand this bit:

"the main problem with it, is that the PM file will trigger Exact Matches, for each and every sentence."

I already merged the darned thing though, so will just see what happens. So far, I haven't noticed any spurious Exact Matches in my ProjectTM causing havoc. But will keep an eye out.

Wdowi: I'm not sure I understand this bit

Well, the SL part of the segment of the PM TM is equal to the SL of you document, of course, so you'll get an exact match for each and every segment. That is, if Igor hasn't changed the workflow. And even if he has, merging it with the Project Memory will trigger those exact matches, I think. Though the terms "merge" and "join" still confuse me. To me, "merge" is pretty similar to "import," while "join" means the two files are merely shown as one. Or the other way around...

H.

Moi: So it should be kept out of Auto-Assembly

That may very well not be enough. Keeping it out of the Automatic Workflow (In the Options of the file) is probably a better idea.

H.

Hi Michael,

Preliminary matching produces a separate TM (with matches displayed in its own tab and the Matchboard as well). If, for some reason, you wish to transfer its segments to your ProjectTM, just choose Memory > Join Memory..., after prior exporting/saving "Preliminary matching" segments to the TMX file on the disk. I understand that you can see some advantages of keeping all the segments under ProjectTM.

However, instead of importing the "Pretranslation.tmx" file into my ProjectTM, 

Then, don't import it (as a separate TM). Perform Memory > Join memory..., instead.

Thanks Igor,

I think I understand now.

Btw, the term "import", in English, usually means to import something into something else. it is not clear that it here means to add it to the project. That is, to "open "it.

That is, these seem to perform the same exact function (right?):

Memory > Open memory… (select relevant "Pretranslation.tmx" on disk)

Memory > Import preliminary matching memory

I confess I still don't understand what Hans is talking about. I Joined the Pretranslation.tmx with my ProjectTM, and the job went just fine. I prefer to have as few separate boxes as possible when working, to help me focus. 

Joseph: I confess I still don't understand what Hans is talking about.

It's more like both Igor and I didn't understand what you wanted to do. But it's solved now, you "joined tabs" only. That's fine.

But I still think Preliminary Matching is passé. With PM, you only get the Auto-Assemble results. That's fine, but especially for people who are synonym-crazy, Recall Memory of Total Recall is superior. You'll also get the AA result in your target language pane, but the Recall Memory file will show alternative translations (if any).

H.

Login to post a comment