Start a new topic

Worst case: Restoring settings after power blackout

After a power blackout all settings are gone.

CT has rest me to my elder license (that still is valid). The TR tables are still there, everything else has vanished from the Dashboard.

This is a f.. situation and happens only when you are in a hurry. One more argument to have all settings in one path. You are not even able to open the project templates (what would save my day at least a bit).

Any chance to get back the settings (here under Mac)?

>It caused issues with some settings (some paths, screen resolution, complex layouts and docking positions etc.)

At least screen resolution, complex layouts and docking positions could be left out, since they can be handled via templates. About paths: perhaps let CafeTran ask them for them on first start up?

Exporting and importing of preferences might return in the future. It caused issues with some settings (some paths, screen resolution, complex layouts and docking positions etc.) when importing them to CT installation on another computer.

CT is so old perhaps that I do not remember whether it ever had a backup and restore feature Jean describes (did it?).

Just in defence of Igor: 

A backup and restore feature (restoring can be a program-assisted or a manual process) might make some problems, such as:

• preferences might not be interchangeable between OSs, this might break your installation
  • preferences might not be interchangeable between same OSs, but with different resolutions/screen sizes, this might break your view

Sure, you can tell users to use a feature at your own risk, but most or many translators are a PEBKAC, so this could mean to have more support work. The other solution is to create OS-specific settings that are not interchangeable, just to avoid hassle, or to create parameters inside the file (e.g. "OS=Windows", "Screen size=27", "Resolution=1024x768") that stop the restoring process (well, only if program-assisted) if it does not fit the host OS. You see, things can quickly go complicated.

But having all or nearly all settings at one place would be really a nice-to-have (I wonder if there ever was a user that missed his non-translatables lists, additions to his custom dictionary and all the other things that are inside the Mac app after doing a "clean" reinstall)

BTW, I know that I might repeatedly be asking for certain features, but at least I am learning and in the meanwhile create hyperlinks to my elder posts, just to underline my persistence (and maybe ignorance of the „Igorsh“ principles) and to link the threads.

>Sorry tre, I meant partial restore (specific files/folders) of a full - incremental - backup, not partial backup.

Yes, Jean, but for the average Mac user it's not clear where some of the settings are stored (in the plist). As far as I know, restoring the CafeTran.app, will not restore the plist to the Prefs folder.

And then there's this problem that a restore of CafeTran.app will overwrite the contents of folders that contain non-translatables, additions to your custom dictionary etc.

It would be great if CafeTran would either offer a command to back these up or (as Torsten suggested many times) to allow saving them in a user-defined folder.

To the developer: yes this would mean an extra layer of complexity to develop and maintain, but it would take away an extra level of complexity for the (novice) user.

Sorry tre, I meant partial restore (specific files/folders) of a full - incremental - backup, not partial backup.

previous system full or partial backup

Restoring a previous full backup is IMHO only an option in case of full crashes. And for partial backups the problem is that we do not have a „.cafetran“ subfolder or sth similar, but some files spread around the system (also depending on your OS). For this topic see also here.

1 person likes this

- Since the removal of a save/restore settings function (I understand it was removed because it broke things), the surefire solution is to revert to a previous system full or partial backup. Isn't backing up a highly expected behavior for translators? I use Back In Time on Linux.

- @michael and @treI mostly use Add segment to memory and go to next segment (Alt+Down for me), and Add segment to memory and go to next untranslated segment (Ctlr+Shift+Down for me). I mostly do not use Checked segments. When I do, I do that by filtering segments by number, example: "1-233", and Set checked status. I sometimes use the Bookmark segment function for remembering partial deliveries/goals/"game progress".T

I feel the discussion of what are the best/most sane default settings is an important one, but one that would require a thorough user experience review. I'm quite startled when I revert to default settings, but what imports me more is the possibility to set them to my taste. And that, CafeTran provides aplenty.

Too little time for reading. I must confess how I ever managed to read most of the books in my library (the other unread stuff is of my wife). But no, the genre of painters' biographies does not interest me too much (that's what this book is about, isn't it?). 

;-D

Torsten: maybe different shades of, ha, grey

Very funny indeed :). Did you enjoy the reading?

Igor:

>BTW, for CafeTran projects, the final check of the target document is usually done in the target application (e.g. MS Word) itself after the export.

For what it's worth, I always spell-check everything in CafeTran ...

Perhaps that's because the Dutch Hunspell is so good? Anyway, I don't like the hassle (at least for me it is), to do an extra spell-check in any editor after export.

It all depends on personal preferences and the quality of available linguistic resources available in CafeTran.

Torsten:

>Thanks for pointing to plist, Hans.

>Anyway, this must be good for something.

>The following settings were not remembered:

Yep, now I remember (luckily it's quite some time ago that I had to restore the settings): selections in the menus aren't remembered either.

Igor, any chance that we get this feature back again to save and restore settings?

I am using Add checked segment to memory and go to next unchecked segment only with the keyboard and have the Cmd-Enter (Mac) or Ctrl-Enter (Win) shortcut assigned to it - following the KISS principle: On Win it corresponds to the memoQ shortcut, and on both systems the Enter key is easier to hit and less probable to miss than any other key.

BTW, is it possible that some default shortcuts on Mac have changed. e.g. Copy source to target -> Ctrl+Alt-I instead of Cmd-I?

I myself always use Add checked segment to memory and go to next unchecked segment (because I find the highlighting of checked segments indispensable to see where I am in a job), but I bet there are also quite a few users who don't even know that it exists, and just move from one segment to another without any highlighting of finished segments. 

This is also made much more likely, because the button that button fans would use (as it is right underneath the target box) is Add segment to memory and go to next segment, which I have never found very useful. 

Also, compared to every other CAT tool out there, this is going to be strange for users, as in all other CAT tools, the basic terminology/workflow is something like: 

When you have translated the segment, you "Confirm" it, after which (and this is VERY important) it changes visually, indicating to the user that is has been translated (or confirmed). 

In CT, unless you use the "Checked" status, nothing changes, leaving it very easy to get confused regarding which segments have already been translated (manually).  

I would actually be very curious to learn how CT users move from one segment to another. That is, if they use keyboard shortcuts, which ones do they use?   

Michael

pretend it means Confirmed.

Perhaps the ambiguity of "Checked" name has its advantage? One can interpret it as 'Confirmed' while another user might treat it as Reviewed before locking the reviewed segments (Task > Lock segments) to get them out of any views such as QA or Filters. Thus you still can have two separate states (Checked followed by Locked)  or the general one (Confirmed and Translated) for those who deem the locked state superfluous. 

One more comment concerning Time Machine:

This hint is really valid, but nevertheless you need to know where the settings are. If I am not mistaken, this is a bit more intuitive, but not clear on Windows.

Login to post a comment