Start a new topic

BUG: Navigating the menus and triggering single commands

Pulled from here

Navigating the menus and triggering the single commands does not work with 'Enter'.

Here on Mac with Java 9, only menu commands with choices such us "View > View Filter menu", "Filter" and the elements of the Mac-specific CafeTran menu work (to open 'Preferences') work. On Bluefish (a Java-based editor) everything works.

Confirmed by Hans vd Broek

This thing would allow to script certain actions wirh AppelScript and/or Keyboard Maestro.

It doesn't look like a bug to me. It's just some Java limitation to the Mac menu integration (at least for program written in Java Swing UI libraries). Bluefish is not Java.

I tried OmegaT and Regexr, a.o., and there it works.

H.

Okay, okay, Bluefish is not Java.

@Hans: If I remember correctly, OmegaT is not made with Swing UI.

But besides that: No remedies anywhere to fix that?

No remedies anywhere to fix that?

I am not aware of any quick workarounds.

I understand you need this feature for some scripts. Then why don't you replace the Enter command on menus with the mouse click in your script?

IK: I understand you need this feature for some scripts

That's not how I understand it. I think Torsten wants some more shortcuts, shortcuts that do not exist at the moment. His alternative would be using Control-F2, which doesn't work in CT. Then I suggested to use AppleScript and Automator/Keyboard Maestro to create the shortcuts himself.

H.

That's pretty strange, Ctrl-F2 sometimes works, sometimes not.

But indeed, as Mac menus are static on the screen, there is the possibility to do this with Keyboard Maestro within a few minutes (just tested, I was not aware of this simple way). The Apple script way will be inly some coding away from there, I assume.

Nevertheless, the missing keyboard trigger for single menu items is a thing that should be fixed in long term. 

Login to post a comment