Start a new topic

REQ: More and more shortcuts

The following shortcuts would really make sense (descending priority):

• Check spelling (F7, kind of universal, I assume)
  • Unfilter (= close/stop the filter)
  • QA > Check all
  • Memory > Import > Import segments from project
  • List words of unknown spelling
  • Edit user’s dictionary

The last two would allow top populate the dictionary even faster.

BTW: Do you know this feeling when you think „I asked for this years ago“ and the you are unable to find it in the forum?

The problem is that there are almost no more keyboard shortcuts left that work cross-platform. To have the best compromise, in my opinion, the shortcuts should be assigned to the frequent actions, which the user performs on every segment. How often does one perform QA > Check all or "Import segments from project", for example? Just once or twice per session, on average. I think that most (if not all) multi-feature software follow that usage frequency-based philosophy when assigning keyboard shortcuts.

The only possible solution would be to let users decide leaving the default shortcuts for rare actions unset by default.

in my opinion, the shortcuts should be assigned to the frequent actions

This is why I don't ask for shortcuts for the Task menu.

> there are almost no more keyboard shortcuts left that work cross-platform

Really? Although „exotic“? There should be plentys of Ctrl-Alt-Something, shouldn't they?

Just once or twice per session, on average.

Touché, but not for the first two (or at least the second one).

A shortcut facilitates automation, for Mac users there is the possibility to trigger the menu with Ctrl-F2 and then navigate there. But this is not the most reliable way – especially because navigating the menus and triggering the single commands does not work with 'Enter'.

Here on Mac with Java 9, only menu commands with choices such us "View > View Filter menu" and the elements of the Mac-specific CafeTran menu work (to open 'Preferences') work. On Bluefish (a Java-based editor) everything works.

> The only possible solution would be to let users decide leaving the default shortcuts for rare actions unset by default.

This could be a nice solution.

Torsten: ...triggering the single commands does not work with 'Enter'

I'll be darned. It doesn't work, not in CT.

You could use AppleScript's UI scripting to create shortcuts, and wrap them in Automator/Keyboard Maestro.

H.

Bluefish (a Java-based editor)

It isn't written in Java: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefish_(software)

Login to post a comment