Start a new topic

REQ: Make better workflows, not templates

Okay, I need to describe the scenario first. I am working from 2 different source languages (SL) into my native language. This means that when switching from on SL to another, I need to click dozens of times.

Project A EN-DE – Selections

Total Recall memories A, B, C

Client-specific TM

TB EN-DE, client-specific TB

Project B FR-DE – Selections

Total Recall memories D, E, F

Client-specific TM

TB FR-DE, client-specific TB

Okay, now let's assume I do not create special templates (as this would mean to have several dozens of templates for every client and lang combination) for these both cases.

I have finished project A and I am working currently on project B. Now the client calls and wants to have changed something in project A.

What does this mean?

• close project B
  • change template, click the necessary TM (assuming that I do not need any of the other resources)
  • do my changes and close project A
Now I need to go back and
  • change template
  • it is quite annoying when the client-specific TM and TB do not form part of the template (maybe a new or newer client)
  • click the Total Recall TMs
  • if I missed any of the resources, I have a good chance to have a different windows layout
To put it short
  • CafeTran behaves annoying when switching between projects, especially when changing languages  
  • templates are great, but working in projects without them can become quite painful (TMs are not displayed, are not remembered, if you do not constantly save your templates – but by constantly saving you might also save configurations you do not want to have saved)
What could be done?
  • if I understand correctly, there is already some project-specific data inside the xlf – but I think there is the need to have a kind of *.ini file – maybe hidden – to save (or maybe to restore later) the project information
  • a better documentation of the template feature (okay, we had this just some days ago)
  • a kind of template editor, to avoid this somehow erratic template behavior (when template X has TMs A and B listed and you open – from this template – TM C, this TM C won't show up the next time you open CT, depending on the user interaction) – the only chance is to save the templates like a maniac, just to have all relevant TMs considered
  • an alternative would be to have a kind of template-neutral mode, i.e. a menu command in the template menu "show dashboard without selected template" or "switch back to start mode", a mode that shows the history of last used TMs – if I see it correctly it is the start mode of CT, but it is impossible to switch back there after you chose a template

You can add to this list many more SL (and TL) specific changes:

• Quote characters
  • Dash types
  • Content of the Do not Match field (esp. the ')
  • etc.

Yes, but this only concerns the problem when switching lang combinations and/or not having TMs reflected in the templates

Why don't you treat the Dashboard as a template editor? It is just very simple and elegant solution without adding another layer of complexity which such an additional editor would involve.

Alternatively, you might create one CT project (e.g. for the same client) and then just add/remove documents keeping the same project resources. This solution will work for CafeTran projects.

Yes, some language specific settings might be added to the templates in the future.

Igor™: without adding another layer of complexity

I assume this subfragment is a small label above your desk. ;-)

you might create one CT project

Absolutely right, but only after this has been resolved. Some clients want a bilingual file for any file I work on. But this is impossible with the "same project - one client - many files" approach. 

The actual template approach has its flaw when a new TM should be added to a template's TM list. This might happen rather often, and always resave the template, with the danger of changing something else? Am I too strict on this? 

My TMs usually have a name such as "EN <Client name>" or "FR <Agency name> <End client name>". Wouldn't it be possible to have a context menu command „Add all files in selected folder that start with/contain XYZ". Would it really be „another layer of complexity“ to have a Template Manager/Editor  in the Preferences?

Igor: Why don't you treat the Dashboard as a template editor? 

Do you have any idea where the delayed response of the Black button may come from?

I assume this subfragment is a small label above your desk. ;-)

Yep, I am paranoiac about it :-) With the full respect to power users for whom macros and scripts are a piece of cake, the translators who are not so computer-oriented are on an equal footing here. Check your iPhone apps and you will see what I mean. BTW, I even kind of suspect that Apple's grudge to scripts may have something to do with it - https://www.computerworld.com/article/3142666/apple-mac/does-apple-really-want-to-kill-automator-applescript.html.

If you propose an idea to reduce the interface complexity, it will be surely up on the to-do list :) 

Do you have any idea where the delayed response of the Black button may come from?

No, but it may be caused by editing this file manually outside CafeTran or by hundreds of hidden files (or other files) inside the same folder. Maybe you save them to cloud?

> ... and always resave the template, with the danger of changing something else? Am I too strict on this?

I don't see any dangers in saving again the template after adding or removing a TM. With the proposed editor approach, you would also need resaving the file.  

IK: BTW, I even kind of suspect that Apple's grudge to scripts may have something to do with it

Bull.

Quite recently, they even added JavaScript to Automator for your convenience.

H.

Hans van den Broek: 

>Bull. Quite recently, they even added JavaScript to Automator for your convenience.

The article is about AppleScript (and Automator), an Apple invention and only used there. JavaScript is an industry standard and used nearly everywhere. A shift from AS to JS is taking place.

Lenting: The article is about AppleScript

No, the article is about sacking Sal Soghoian (a brilliant, though rather old man, not unlike me), and the consequences for automation on a Mac. The article is also a year old. And of course, any article with "Apple" in the header , especially with "kill" in it as well, is a clickbait. 

JavaScript is an industry standard

Apple uses its own version, JXA, not particularly standard-like, even though basically it's the same as JavaScript. There are many problems concerning JS, and I wouldn't want to trade it in for AppleScript.

Anyway, Automator and AppleScript aren't dead.

H.

IK: Check your iPhone apps

Workflows can automate a wide variety of things: anything from getting directions to the next event on your calendar, to moving text from one app to another, or even generating expense reports.

H.

Check your iPhone apps

I rather meant the relative complexity of the apps in general which affects its simplicity, intuitiveness and further innovations. There is a point in the application development that either some features are removed to replace them with the new ones, or the app is split into some separate apps. This removal is also true for hardware (again example with the new iPhones and their phone jack removed in favor of a wireless solution - good and brave but much criticized move).

I think CafeTran is somewhere near this point where some features might be removed to make room for new solutions. 

>I think CafeTran is somewhere near this point where some features might be removed to make room for new solutions. 

Understandable but frightening. I hope that the features that I use most, won't be removed ;).

How are you going to organise this? Via a poll of user response or from a perspective of coding complexity and maintenance effort?

Login to post a comment